Name change- British Lambretta Owners Association Club

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

timexit17 wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:50 pm What was 'sold' to him?
By whom?

If you mean the fee for registering the trademark it wasn't sold, it's a fee for registration.
He doesn't own the trademark currently.
Sold is obviously the wrong word. Fee for registration then. And I don't know what body registered it on his behalf. I was rather hoping you did. I would hope they considered they were acting within the confines of the law.
timexit17
Main scooter: GP 225 Extra S type

No one registered it on his behalf -I understand the confusion to be fair, since Gavin himself claimed more than once to 'own' BLOA.
He never did and doesn't now.

He might if he wins in court however and the IPO might accept this, but that's pretty unlikely.

He may well have used another logo that doesn't belong to him now, which is a shame as surely instead of posturing on an ever decreasing ice floe, he'd be better off swimming and finding his own?
http://www.lambrettaclubitalia.it/home.php
Arcadia

servetakid wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:22 pm I have a scooter I am currently collecting parts on, if someone just wheeled that out of my garage because it didn't look like I was doing very much with it that wouldn't wash with many people on here. So why should imagery (which is owned and signed away by the creator) be fair game just because it wasn't registered?
That's a really s**t analogy. A better one would be this.

A famous scooter dealer was out in the middle of a field with the only example of a rare scooter which he designed and built. You came along, and as an enthusiast he let you borrow it, but it was always his property. He then died, his family saw no value in it and didn't want it back. So you abandoned it in the field, bought yourself a newer model of your own, and left it to rust away, occasionally returning to it every few years, to show your mates and push it around a bit. Some 40+ years later, a fella walked through the field and saw the scooter rotting away, so he took it home, registered it, revived, it, and now it's flourishing and looks great. This pissed you off.

So you get the hump, turn up with all your mates, threaten him with legal action (using your mates money - you do ask a few of them if that's OK after you've spent £7grand, but only the ones who can drive 250 miles to the boozer which you will be asking the questions in - the rest can go f@@k themselves), and get all your pals, and their pals, and people who aren't even involved, to give him a load of s**t until he crumbles. Even though the scooter never belonged to you in the first place, but you felt like it did, because the original owner let you borrow it once.

That's more like it.
timexit17
Main scooter: GP 225 Extra S type

The only fly in that analogy (and it's a rather large one) is the fact that the owner did indeed sign over rights to 'it' and therefore it was never the fellas to take from the field.
As for 'and now it's flourishing and looks great'- okaaaaay.
servetakid

Arcadia wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:09 pm
servetakid wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:22 pm I have a scooter I am currently collecting parts on, if someone just wheeled that out of my garage because it didn't look like I was doing very much with it that wouldn't wash with many people on here. So why should imagery (which is owned and signed away by the creator) be fair game just because it wasn't registered?
A famous scooter dealer was out in the middle of a field with the only example of a rare scooter which he designed and built. You came along, and as an enthusiast he gifted it to you, and ever since then it is your property. He then died. So you tucked it away, occasionally returning to it every few years, to pay homage to famous scooter dealer and share it with your mates and appreciate his unique design. Some 40+ years later, a fella walked through the field and saw the scooter as easy game, so he took the frame number, registered it without asking or showing any considerations for how you would feel.
There, I've helped you with your analogy.
eden
Dealer

It's not being given a chance to flourish.
The analogy Arcadia outlines is and has always been how I view this.
BLOA had been assigned to history by LCGB. Why don't others want BLOA to be given a new lease of life?
LCGB can't do it as they are LCGB, How many hats do LCGB want to wear?

Coaster, I do often still talk to a few LCGB committee members. Others though I wouldn't p155 on if they were on fire due to how I was treated by them. People assume voting within the committee is unanimous all the time. Publicly they understandably show unity, the problem I see is that too many on the committee are happy for others on there to think for them and others believe bull s**t spread by others on the committee.
Anyone with half a brain who knew the full story of what lead up to my ban would I'm sure see that I was stitched up like a kipper. I will never forgive or forget so while certain people are still calling the shots I wont be joining again and I won't be shutting up about how I was treated by them. They freely chose to make me their enemy, if they thought I would allow them to f@@k me over with a trumped up charge and not speak out about it they are stupider than I gave them credit for.
Late last year I offered a solution that I could live with but it was either not passed on to other committee members or just ignored. If they are nothing else, they are bloody minded!
This doesn't mean I won't be out and about on rallies though.
a.j

eden wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:48 pm Anyone with half a brain who knew the full story of what lead up to my ban would I'm sure see that I was stitched up like a kipper.
Why don't you feel free to tell us on here?
servetakid

eden wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:48 pm It's not being given a chance to flourish.
The analogy Arcadia outlines is and has always been how I view this.
BLOA had been assigned to history by LCGB. Why don't others want BLOA to be given a new lease of life?
LCGB can't do it as they are LCGB, How many hats do LCGB want to wear?
Kentucky Fried Chicken hasn't been used since 1991 and instead the fast food company is simply KFC.
If you opened a chain of restaurants called Kentucky Fried Chicken, I can't imagine it would wash with KFC.

Call it Louisiana Cooked Chicken, problem solved and no one can argue.
Doesn't' mean that the formation of an alternative/rival (depends how you would view such a thing) wouldn't ruffle a few feathers.

Would you be happy if someone went and registered Indecipherable Lambretta Collective and started knocking out merch because I can't find a FB page any more and assume it is no longer going?
MaDMAn

For all these people saying what about KFC, what about AF Rayspeed. Your comparison is not even close. If a Ltd Company is currently operative and has an associated brand name which it can prove current commercial use of, and you simply and stupidly try to trademark their name, the IPO would tell you to getfucked. If the IPO slipped up and didn't do that, a court would. BLOA was neither current nor commercial, so it was effectively up for grabs. GF grabbed it.
Arcadia

servetakid wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:17 pm
Arcadia wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:09 pm
A famous scooter dealer was out in the middle of a field with the only example of a rare scooter which he designed and built. You came along, and as an enthusiast he gifted it to you, and ever since then it is your property. He then died. So you tucked it away, occasionally returning to it every few years, to pay homage to famous scooter dealer and share it with your mates and appreciate his unique design. Some 40+ years later, a fella walked through the field and saw the scooter as easy game, so he took the frame number, registered it without asking or showing any considerations for how you would feel.
There, I've helped you with your analogy.
Very romantic, but grossly inaccurate from a leg perspective. Do you wear rose tinted spectacles?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information