Name change- British Lambretta Owners Association Club

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
Gavin J Frankland
Main scooter: sx200

As you will be aware I have changed the name. This decision was not done by pressure of the LCGB or the silly names and accusations thrown around. Everything untoward me personally was backed up with what ever was needed of which all fell on deaf ears and not the common decency to acknowledge the replies. I changed the name to restore some order within the Lambretta family, arguing about a name to me was unbelievable. Yes people had a view, that is their rights. I have now brought another edge to the rally season, some will like it, some wont. The ethos of the club is still exactly the same, we have a committee on-board as that was requested by people. The roles need to be finalized and problems ironed out, but it's a start. I did try to work with the LCGB on this, I thought maybe running this along side the club, as both clubs offer different styles it would have made the club bigger and offer more to the members. This idea was a similar one offered by Kev using the LPS. The response to this will be at the bottom of this. I now hope this will make us stronger and for some a bit of an eye opener. Yes the name only has "CLUB" at the end but what people forgot is the thing I was trying to bring back we don't have at the moment. To see felt pennants on scooters, inland rallies at locations that not many have even heard off, bringing things back to a golden age is only a good thing. I see a few have tried to make a mockery of the name already, it was these individuals that actually gave me the idea. With the constant imagery being shown I sat there looking at them with a brew and then it hit me. The image I have used was used for advertising in the 1950's/60's. So now everyone is happy, a name change as requested by many from day one and so the club soldiers on. So thank you Nic Cicutti and Johnny Walklate. So going forward this is a new club with new ideas, there is a lot to offer. It's up to you if you come on board. There are many original 1950's members here and many members from the LCGB.

MY EMAIL-
Hello Kev,

Here's a few ideas that I will forward. I've spoken to NAME REMOVED and he has spoken to NAME REMOVED. NAME REMOVED has said that the LCGB will buy all of my merchandise if I change the name and walk away from BLOA.I can do the following.

1- Change the name and artwork from Mike Karslake which will make it alien to the LCGB. With reference to a phone conversation today with NAME REMOVED, NAME REMOVED said that he will write me a letter giving me his word that no backlash will come of this if I change the name and artwork as above.

2- Run side by side with the LCGB, to keep the name as it is, put the copyright with you. For me to sit on the committee with the LCGB for BLOA issues only and to hold a BLOA AGM with our own committee. Funds made by BLOA to stay in the club to run it and build the museum. So basically BLOA is 100% self-sufficient.

Thanks, Gav.

REPLY after accepting LCGB Offer.

Hi
Gavin
Just had a phone Conversation with NAME REMOVED Who is representing the views of the LCGB committee as you requested I forwarded your email onto him with your terms. In short these terms have been fully rejected by the committee and have indicated they will continue in there current route.

So there you go. I accepted but it was thrown back in my face. Please don't start another debate, I've been asked to put the story forward to help everybody.

Bonjour.
Chris in Margate
Main scooter: Lambretta 1964 225 Special

Immediately springs to mind: Catherine Tate's "Nan" !
MaDMAn

Gavin J Frankland wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:00 pm MY EMAIL-
Hello Kev,

Here's a few ideas that I will forward. I've spoken to NAME REMOVED and he has spoken to NAME REMOVED. NAME REMOVED has said that the LCGB will buy all of my merchandise if I change the name and walk away from BLOA.I can do the following.

1- Change the name and artwork from Mike Karslake which will make it alien to the LCGB. With reference to a phone conversation today with NAME REMOVED, NAME REMOVED said that he will write me a letter giving me his word that no backlash will come of this if I change the name and artwork as above.

2- Run side by side with the LCGB, to keep the name as it is, put the copyright with you. For me to sit on the committee with the LCGB for BLOA issues only and to hold a BLOA AGM with our own committee. Funds made by BLOA to stay in the club to run it and build the museum. So basically BLOA is 100% self-sufficient.

Thanks, Gav.

Hi
Gavin
Just had a phone Conversation with NAME REMOVED Who is representing the views of the LCGB committee as you requested I forwarded your email onto him with your terms. In short these terms have been fully rejected by the committee and have indicated they will continue in there current route.
So basically you tried to make contact with the committee, tried to offer terms for an agreement and rather than either accept or negotiate they instead elected for a flat refusal and to persist with incurring further legal costs?
timexit17
Main scooter: GP 225 Extra S type

MaDMAn wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:05 am
Gavin J Frankland wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:00 pm
So basically you tried to make contact with the committee, tried to offer terms for an agreement and rather than either accept or negotiate they instead elected for a flat refusal and to persist with incurring further legal costs?
No.
He made contact with the committe and the terms under which he wanted to do a deal weren't accepted.
Let's not try to paint this as 'here's two fingers and we'll carry on regardless' since there were quite obviously some significant 'strings attached' to GF's offer.
Who said negotiations weren't ongoing?
timexit17
Main scooter: GP 225 Extra S type

The 2nd point is demanding a seat on the LCGB committee isn't it?
Hardly a good start.
Nic

Let me stress, I'm speaking entirely personally here. My comments are my own.

But I don't think this will fly.

I'm not interested in whether you did or didn't do it under pressure, although I note that in the past few weeks there has been growing opposition from LCGB members and many others in the scootering community to what you are doing.

I'm intrigued you are are saying "I have decided..." as if the newly elected/appointed committee has no say in the matter. What do they think? Were they even consulted?

It reminds me of the old Margaret Thatcher story. She goes into a restaurant with her Cabinet, calls over the waiter and says: "I'll have steak". The waiter asks: "What about the vegetables?" Thatcher replies: "They'll have steak too..."

I note your half-hearted offer to "change the name and artwork from Mike Karslake which will make it alien to the LCGB." Presumably this means that you are prepared to acknowledge that the LCGB has the copyright to the BLOA imagery and designs, assigned to the Club by Mike Karslake.

And you are offering to stop using any BLOA imagery in future. At least I think so, as you are by nature quite a slippery person.

If so, adding the word "Club" - which completely mangles the English language by the way (an "Association Club"? ) - does not clear up the confusion you are creating over the BLOA name itself, which forms part of the history of the LCGB.

To clear up any confusion, you would need to alter the name of your organisation, not add the word "Club" after it. You would need to give a written undertaking that you will not use any of the copyrighted Karslake imagery for your own personal gain or that of the organisation you are attempting to create

The idea that you would have a seat on the LCGB committee to discuss BLOA issues is bizarre. In effect, you are suggesting that your "BLOAC" would become a subsidiary element of the LCGB, as the LPS is - which will no doubt go down well with people who hate our Club and its committee so much they want to go off and form another one.

Do you honestly think that would work? That we would accept a person who is unelected by our Club's AGM to come and lecture our Committee on what you are planning to do with part of our history? You are right, parts of this idea were floated several years ago. It was massively opposed by LCGB members at an AGM and was dropped.

Yes, there is room in the scootering scene for any and all organisations that want to do something different.

The LCGB has never stood in the way of those who want different scootering experiences - we are supporters of BSSO and help to sponsor people who want to take part in the scooter racing scene, for example. Nor is there anything wrong with traditional scooter rallies.

If you want to build a club around trying to meet some of those perceived needs, go ahead. But stop trying to do it by holding on to the coat tails of OUR Club's history and tradition.

My suggestion is this: if you are serious about wanting to talk to the LCGB, you contact them directly and ask to speak to an elected representative, not someone chosen by you who is not on the committee. If you want to speak to several members of the Committee at once, bring one or more of your vegetables if you wish.

But don't imagine that any talks will be successful unless you acknowledge the utter determination of the LCGB to defend our heritage and you take proper steps to address that fact.
Nic

MaDMAn wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:05 am
Gavin J Frankland wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:00 pm MY EMAIL-
Hello Kev,

Thanks, Gav.

Hi
Gavin
Making contact with the committee means picking up a phone and talking to a member of the committee. Or sending them an email directly.
Gavin J Frankland

my wording for the name change is on the design, have a good look. I know parts of the English language have changed but as that image is from the 50's/60's that will do for us. As I still own the copyright I am giving to Kev Walsh as a safe guard. Reason being as it was mentioned on a few occasions, the bloa image is not to be used to profit and gain. I've only done what was wished for, a name change and an image change, ive done all that was requested by others. Remember be careful what you wish for. The image is still protected.
I don't know who sits o the committee, my inbetween was with Martin weeks and another. I did what they asked for as a good will gesture. I know 100% that they will not win anything, but as I'm a enthusiast as well it's time to change directions and to stop waisting LCGB members money on a wild goose chase.
Gavin J Frankland

Nic- vegetables? Are you 8 years old? I've told you before, don't bring things into the gutter.
Gavin J Frankland

Timeexit17. No you've read it wrong or I'm not clear enough. It wasn't for both, either 1 or 2.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information