Pros and cons of a 22 tooth primary on a kitted P125?

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
hat
Main scooter: SX150/ Mugello 186

P125 with a pinasco 177, 24mm carb, fast flow tap and SIP road2, everything else standard. Its topping out at around 60-65mph at around 6500rpm. Would switching from 21 to a 22 tooth primary add much more, or would it lose anything?
ricalnic
Main scooter: Lambretta GP Monza 225

Scooterhelp gearing calculator may help you in your decisions

http://www.scooterhelp.com/tuning/vespa.gear.calc.html
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

If you are certain it will pull the gearing, then it will extend the top speed.

If it can’t pull the gearing, it’ll be ‘flat’ in 4th and be a pain uphill and into headwind.
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
shocky

I'm building a 177 26mm carb
Either a sip2 or polini pipe and p2 primarys

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
Shaunbond

I run a 22 on a standard 150 without issue, still pulls well up hills and into headwinds. Sito+ exhaust so lower torque curve helps.
Also run a BGM 177 with 23\68 gearing which is a fantastic cruiser without loosing too much low to mid range.
Hope it helos
Serial scooter rider...
VMSC Committed to Scootering for 25 years
Muttley McLadd

Does it make good torque?
My 190 runs a 60 mil crank - not sure how much difference that makes - but similar spec to yours with the 24 mil carb and SIP box pipe. It pulls 23/65 (short fourth) with ease. Two up too.
CakeAndArseParty
Scooterindo
Main scooter: Cutdown Bitza

I'm also presently building a "quick" engine using a Polini pipe, cut crank, malossi 166 with the casings matched, and a 24mm carb.
Was a bit miffed about gearing but finally opted for a 22/68 primary through a late model 150 gearbox. Going for nippy round town use as opposed to motorway cruising. It was a toss up between this and the P200 23/65 primary drives. Previously had a 177 Polini in the same set up with the Polini 23/64 primary drives and it just wouldn't pull it - and that was with a 28mm delorto PHBH hence my decision to go 22/68.

Hope this info is of use.
Old Skool Cool
Lukemx82

I run a cast iron polini 177 si24 carb and jl lefty and have upped mine to 22 primary.

I did it more because I wanted to bring the revs down a little bit when cruising in 4th at 60mph for long periods and it did the trick. It pulls the gearing fine with 2 up to that speed.
Dont often want to go faster than that but it reaches 70mph (on the speedo) easy if I leave the mrs at home.
With two up on the 21 primary there were always moments when I had to drop it to third to get up a steep hill but now with the 22 if I do have to drop to third its a bit taller also so probably still maintaining the same or higher speed hitting hills.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information