LCGB AGM ref BLOA

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

wintermod65 wrote: I also feel there is a lot more to this in legal terms as none of the "scootering press " have touched this hot potato , another blow for investigative journalism !!
Interviews have been conducted, information gathered, and a draft article constructed. We are just waiting for one important turn of events to conclude... presumably the same item which LCGB are waiting for, the one which has thus far prevented them from actually taking any formal legal action to date. The one which can be considered the lynchpin of the current legal (not moral or historical) position.

Also keep in mind, in relation to your above post, a trademark can be registered against different categories. So I might register the name Joe Bloggs for club purposes, you might register it for manufacturing clothing. We can both hold the trademark in that respect. We can both also either co-exist in harmony, or instead ‘object’ to the other holding it, it’s up to the IPO to decide that outcome. If either of us disagree with the outcome, then we have the the right to pursue the matter in the courts (get the chequebook ready!)

Best not to put the cart before the horse.

See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
Nic

Good luck with the article Dan. You might want to talk to the many scooterists who have knowledge of Gavin Frankland while he was in Merseyside, or who have had dealings with him from his various memorabilia sales.

Meanwhile, just a quick update.

At the same time as I posted the JetSet article on this thread yesterday, I also opened a thread on my FB page, posting pretty much the same message.

I asked anyone reading the thread to share it as widely as possible. Gavin Frankland himself came on to my FB page and briefly engaged in open debate on the issue with myself and others. He was offered the chance to say whatever he wanted, with no censorship or attempts to bar him.

Yesterday evening, however, I discovered that I'd been banned from accessing the BLOA page on FB. Fair enough, you might think, after all, I am a critic of Gavin Frankland's actions and I had also attempted to post the Jet Set article on the BLOA page (that lasted about 2 mins ;) ). Slapped wrist. 8-)

But what followed is much more bizarre. Overnight, more than 65 other people were also barred from the BLOA page.

Their crime? They had the temerity to share my post among their friends. Did they say anything hostile towards Gavin Frankland at the same time? No, the vast majority (55 or so) did not contribute at all to the discussion on my page at all. I repeat: they simply shared a post.

To my certain knowledge more than 85 people who simply disagree with him - never mind say anything negative -have been barred in recent weeks from accessing the FB page he set up. I don't keep a running tally, so the figure could be even higher.

What Gavin Frankland is doing is extraordinary. He is hoping to hermetically seal his Facebook page - North Korea-style - from anyone who he suspects is even mildly critical of what he is doing.

Did he consult with his little band of cheerleaders before barring so many people overnight? Is this official BLOA policy? It would be interesting to know. Somehow, I doubt it.

He is happy to take the opportunity - freely offered by me - to debate on my FB page, but when his minions post lies about the LCGB on his page, he stops people like me from contributing. One thread was closed down after 10 replies, presumably because it didn't go the way that was intended.

I want to thank Dan for his patience - against his better judgement, probably - in hosting my comments on this topic on Scooterotica. My FB page will always be open also to anyone who wants to engage in debate on the topic. No censorship, no bans.

I also have to say to Gavin Frankland and those who have chosen, for whatever reason, to support his attempt to take the BLOA name from the LCGB: scootering is not about living in your micro-bubble, trying to keep away from facts that make you feel uncomfortable. You can't stop people talking - and the truth will always come out.
Timbo
Main scooter: SX200 and GP230 RT

.....reminds of the days you were a moderator on LCGB forum......🙄

My suggestion for your t shirt.....Pot Kettle Black......😀
Nic

Timbo wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:08 am .....reminds of the days you were a moderator on LCGB forum......🙄

My suggestion for your t shirt.....Pot Kettle Black......😀
In politics, what you've done is called "whataboutery". In other words, try to deflect a valid criticism by pointing out a presumed failing on the part of the person making it.

Even if you were correct - and you are not - two wrongs don't make a right.

But in any event, for the record, in my three years as a moderator, I deleted about 5 comments from the LCGB forum and amended a similar number. I always communicated with the person and explained why I was doing it that. I challenge you to point to any comment I censored.

I have never once barred a person from the site - I'm not saying it didn't happen, but it was never done by me. And it certainly wasn't EVER done to the incredible scale that we've seen in the past few weeks alone on "your" FB page. I'm calling it "your" page because I assume you have some control over what is done in your name.

You mean you haven't? No AGM to decide policy as to how your FB page is run? No annually-elected national committee to help determine your Club's approach on these issues? Ooops. I seem to remember you flounced out of at least one other Club for far less than that. :lol:
Nic

Oh, and incidentally, just to make the point that attempting to behave like Kim Jong-Il within the scootering community will never work: in the past few hours the FB comments have now been shared almost 75 times. Are you going to tell Gavin Frankland to stop barring people, yes or no?
wintermod65
Main scooter: winter model

apologies for the dig , but it worked sort of ! as a scootering reader i will look forward to reading the article for certain glad you've given us the scoop here first ,
i understand the different uses aspect, the ipo hearing document the paragraph in my post came from mentioned different classes of use ,in that case it was sunglassess ,shoes and clothing which lead me to look at the classes on the IPO site sorry its my ocd side coming out ! .
the issues in relation to my post are with the application made under class 41 by Mr Frankland , as it states the word mark BLOA but with an entirely different logo (PRINTED and EMBROIDERED) than he used to advertise his venture in certain scooter magazines so why not use the one he tried to trademark ?
however im thinking of applying for one under class 32 Beer an non alcholic beverages .
British lambretta owners Ale full bodied of course , not too hoppy more smooth easy to handle great in the summer with a hint of castrol R for good measure any takers ? .
my conclusions are, if you take away someones toys ( whether they think they own them morally historically or legally) its reasonable to expect some sort of a reaction from them.
theres obviously a significant gain to the use of trademarks financially and legally speaking however it sets an unpleasant precedent if this is the way the scene is going ,
can you imagine a world where Trading Standards officials roam scooter rally sites and events looking for unlicensed and conterfeit goods like they do at dodgy sunday markets an boot sales or perish the thought impounding a scooter as logos on the paint job havent been approved by the trademark holder.
Whilst i have no axe to grind with someone setting up new clubs , after all its the sign of a vibrant scene and good news for certain. i just feel after the dust has settled some people may come to regret certain comments and actions and may have wished they had done things differently .
i had to get the services of a solicitor (so agree with you ref open cheque book barristers are an entirley more expensive proposition altogether ) to recover my winter model from a scooter restorer based in the southeast after the relationship broke down ,mainly down to them taking 14 months to blast and prime the bodywork an frame and losing parts but that as they say is another story, thankfully its not been my experience with the painter and restorer its currently at .

carts and horses ill have you know we have steam carriages down in Suffolk !
Last edited by wintermod65 on Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Timbo
Main scooter: SX200 and GP230 RT

Nic wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:32 am Are you going to tell Gavin Frankland to stop barring people, yes or no?
No.!.....he can run it how he likes as far as I am concerned and as i’ve said before I can vote with my feet by not renewing my subs if i’m not happy with the way it’s run. At £10pa it’s not much of a gamble......... :roll: .......You must have missed it but somewhere in print he said a committee is planned once things are up and running.
coaster

Timbo wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:47 pm .......You must have missed it but somewhere in print he said a committee is planned once things are up and running.
The problem is they might all be called Gavin ;)

He also said the subs would be used to support his private scooter collection :?
wrecklessrobbie
Main scooter: li150

Wintermod65.....any chance you could post a few pictures of your scooter. In the show us yours section.
I like the eibar scooters. Mine i am restoring is a s2 1960.

Thank you Robbie.
Nic

Timbo wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:47 pm
Nic wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:32 am Are you going to tell Gavin Frankland to stop barring people, yes or no?
No.!.....he can run it how he likes as far as I am concerned and as i’ve said before I can vote with my feet by not renewing my subs if i’m not happy with the way it’s run. At £10pa it’s not much of a gamble......... :roll: .......You must have missed it but somewhere in print he said a committee is planned once things are up and running.
The last time you objected to being told off for your posts on the LCGB website, your lovely little feet carried you out of the door in double-quick time - with a lot of bleating on this forum and especially on the Feckers' site (God bless that forum 8-) ).

Seems you've changed your tune now that more than 85 people get deleted from your club's Facebook page for the simple act of sharing a post with their friends..

It confirms to me that, as I've observed before, your motivation in supporting BLOA is not based on any genuine set of principles or morality but on the opportunity to stick it to the LCGB for a slight you experienced many years ago. Pretty shameful really.

Still it's only a tenner, eh? :?
Locked Previous topicNext topic
  • Information