New Layshafts?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
GTFOMWSC
Main scooter: GP230 Super Monza CS Tuned

holty wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:58 pm i have seen one of those new octopus hubs with the splines ripped off the shaft, so they can go wrong as can old innocenti layshafts, as mentioned i think there are many thousands of layshafts that have never failed, i have heard suggestions of wrong hub and cone, or worn ones can lead to layshaft failure, and overtightening the hub nut could be to blame for failures as well.
first i've heard of one going, have heard of one coming loose but that was a wrong torque setting on the hub nut nothing to do with the hub or shaft.Could see it happening if it wasn't fitted right in the first place as they are a precise fit and if you haven't done it correctly it could rip the splines apart but that would be the fitters fault not the products.
the man don't give a f@@k
holty
Main scooter: lambretta gp

GTFOMWSC wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:13 pm
holty wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:58 pm i have seen one of those new octopus hubs with the splines ripped off the shaft, so they can go wrong as can old innocenti layshafts, as mentioned i think there are many thousands of layshafts that have never failed, i have heard suggestions of wrong hub and cone, or worn ones can lead to layshaft failure, and overtightening the hub nut could be to blame for failures as well.
first i've heard of one going, have heard of one coming loose but that was a wrong torque setting on the hub nut nothing to do with the hub or shaft.Could see it happening if it wasn't fitted right in the first place as they are a precise fit and if you haven't done it correctly it could rip the splines apart but that would be the fitters fault not the products.
that was the point i was trying to make, but my typing skills are a bit limited, a layshaft fitted correctly should not fail, be it an old italian one, indian or modern design.
CANbus

[/quote]

that was the point i was trying to make, but my typing skills are a bit limited, a layshaft fitted correctly should not fail, be it an old italian one, indian or modern design.
[/quote]

I don't believe that statement can be made accurately until a FEA is carried out on the part.
The lay shaft geometry derives from the 50/60's when the hp of the engine was probably half of whats being applied today generally.
The good news is materials have improved greatly since then.

Using a higher hp engine on the track would have a lower duty cycle than an engine being used day in day out as commuter.

Hence my request for a 3D model and material spec of the layshaft, I will conduct a FEA FOC, so pm if you have a model.

example.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yZ_Na4U844
11111111 = 0xFF
alanscottj
Main scooter: Lambretta GP SS250 Casa

I've just fitted the CASA one on my CASA SS250 - quality bit of kit :D
Lambretta Series 2 Rat - RB260, SuperTourer, Cyclone 5 gearbox 😎👍
GTFOMWSC
Main scooter: GP230 Super Monza CS Tuned

alanscottj wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:41 pm I've just fitted the CASA one on my CASA SS250 - quality bit of kit :D
+1
the man don't give a f@@k
psychedelicropcircle
Main scooter: Series 1 li150 1958

I’d recommend the MB layshafts although I do have a casa MS also which has a locking ring that actually fits ! no fileing the f**k outta it or owt!
corrado
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

garry inglis wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:34 am The Casa ones are very good I have one in my ts but I would look at the new 18 spline layshaft kit £280 You get the hub, bearing, seal, layshaft, nut and washer plus they will be spot on for a 5 speed box
It's actually cheaper than buying a "safe" hub and an "MB" layshaft.
cartmel808
Main scooter: 1975 Vespa Rally 200 Femsa

I’m now leaning toward the casa m/s shaft & octopus hub set-up... I hadn’t really considered it initially, due to the cost of the kit - but as I also need a new hub, bearing, seal, etc to go with new layshaft... and having priced up ‘decent quality’ components from different suppliers, the octopus option now looks like good value @ £260.00.

For example (and I’m only trying to sell it to myself here), If I was to buy say; an mb layshaft, scootopia hub, decent bearing/seal/lock ring, etc - then I’m looking @ spending circa £250... so for little over a tenner more I can have the Casa multi-spline Shaft with matching hub & all ancillaries which in me head makes perfect sense.

Thanks for the replies...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by cartmel808 on Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

Do it! You know you want too. :lol:
garry inglis
Main scooter: ts1 230 and rb200

cartmel808 wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:18 pm I’m now leaning toward the casa m/s shaft & octopus hub set-up... I hadn’t really considered it initially, due to the cost of the kit - but as I also need a new hub, bearing, seal, etc to go with new layshaft... and having priced up ‘decent quality’ components from different suppliers, the octopus option now looks like good value @ £260.00.

For example (and I’m only trying to sell it to myself here), If I was to buy say; an mb layshaft, scootopia hub, decent bearing/seal/lock ring, etc - then I’m looking @ spending circa £250... so for little over a tenner more I can have the Casa multi-spline Shaft with matching hub & all ancillaries which imo makes perfect sense.

Thanks for the replies...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You can afford it it'll take any power you might put through it and as your vespa I've seen push out 35hp I would think you have something planned for this lambretta engine
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information