Rear Wheel Oil Seal????

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
rog60
Main scooter: Indian GP200

mickyb wrote:get a peice of plastic, the type used on vacuum packaging, just long enough to go round axle, hold it in a cylinder and push through seal, oil the seal and plastic. put plastic tube over axle and slide seal into place, press home, remove plastic and hey presto, job done.

Did it this way, worked a treat..................thanks to all
NO IT'S NOT A F***IN* MOPED!!!!!!
sean brady scooters
Dealer

well done.........thank fook for that........ :D
Sean Brady Scooters - 01765 690 698
Suede Ed
Main scooter: SIL GP200

mickyb wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:37 pm get a peice of plastic, the type used on vacuum packaging, just long enough to go round axle, hold it in a cylinder and push through seal, oil the seal and plastic. put plastic tube over axle and slide seal into place, press home, remove plastic and hey presto, job done.
Can someone explain the above, as if they're talking to a child, as I've just f##ked up a Rolf oil seal, and then done the same with an Indian seal (that I didn't want to use anyway) Done this before, and can't remember it being virtually impossible 😩
garry inglis
Main scooter: ts1 230 and rb200

I'm with you suade ed we want pictures off the above
gaz_powell

I've fitted loads but recently on a build could not fit the seal to this bearing, even with a press after knacking two seals - changed the bearing to another brand and as it should it push home by hand.

I've used this brand rear hub bearings on plenty of builds, with no issue, but this one would not take the seal.

I need to get round to accurately measuring it against the RIV that give no issue.

On close inspection there is no chamfer on the bearing edges.
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

The last time I fit one,I got the lip of the oil seal over the bearing and fit the hub bearing retaining plates and screwed the four nuts on in sequence until they were all the way down.
Timbo
Main scooter: SX200 and GP230 RT

Got a notification that Torbay Lambretta have a new seal in. Dont know enough about them to say if they are better or not.
gaz_powell

I tried pioneer, Rolf and TTO seals on this bearing to no avail......after spending too long arsing about trying to fit seal ( when I knew something amiss after fist attempt with a rolf) I give up.
It's still there looking at me when I go in garage and i hate been beaten, but on this occasion I think best place is the bin
holty
Main scooter: lambretta gp

i would suspect if you have tried 3 seals, then its the bearing thats at fault, i would try a better bearing, or one from a dealer who knows they fit correctly, i think lambretta upgrades do a riv bearing at a very reasonable price, i had trouble with the last one i did, it was too slack and pissed oil out so on my recent built i opted for the jockeys sealed bearing so no seals to worry about, they do seem to fit very well, just fitted one to my mates new build, would always fit one now.
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

holty wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:32 pm i would suspect if you have tried 3 seals, then its the bearing thats at fault, i would try a better bearing, or one from a dealer who knows they fit correctly, i think lambretta upgrades do a riv bearing at a very reasonable price, i had trouble with the last one i did, it was too slack and pissed oil out so on my recent built i opted for the jockeys sealed bearing so no seals to worry about, they do seem to fit very well, just fitted one to my mates new build, would always fit one now.
Is that the one with the separate shell?

There seems to be a spacer in the kit - where does that go?
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information