Refueling routine. It's been a long time

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

I use one of these oil jugs https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lambretta-Oi ... XQLQJRE5cf and fill my bottles in my garage before I set off.
spannerman

Quick question here , Why is everyone quoting 3%, standard! lambretta,s run on 4%
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

spannerman wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:43 pm Quick question here , Why is everyone quoting 3%, standard! lambretta,s run on 4%
Those quoting probably don't run standard Lambretta's.

Not all standard Lambrettas were quoted at 4%.
HxPaul

I cant speak for others,but I run at 3 per cent because its better at that rate.Oil has changed a lot since we used 4 per cent.I used to run mine at 4 per cent when the petrol was 4 star,plus we used to use mineral oil.
onthelam
Main scooter: not yet

spannerman wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:43 pm Quick question here , Why is everyone quoting 3%, standard! lambretta,s run on 4%
I believe the answer is in the oil. Back in the day Lambrettas were designed so one could rock up at any petrol/gas station and mix varying weights of mineral oil with the fuel. They recommended 4% .

Now we have semi and fully synthetic 2-stroke specific oils which have better additives and lubricity. So if using them we can reduce to 3%.
coaster

That's because modern oils are much better that what was available back then, Vespa were using 2%.

Some kits still recommend 4% but I'm yet to be convinced that is down to any scientific research personally.
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

The primary use of the oil is to lubricate the crank. With vespas have the induction directly over the crank, the crank is directly lubricated, hence the 2%. With Lambrettas having modern, improved, cranks and better quality cylinders, pistons and 2 stroke oil then running 2% is achievable. I think some wrote about trying at 1%
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

mick1 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:13 pm The primary use of the oil is to lubricate the crank. With vespas have the induction directly over the crank, the crank is directly lubricated, hence the 2%. With Lambrettas having modern, improved, cranks and better quality cylinders, pistons and 2 stroke oil then running 2% is achievable. I think some wrote about trying at 1%
That'd be a brave man on an expensive cylinder kit... :o
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
spannerman

Well if you read most aftermarket kits they still quote 4%, probably to safe-guard themselves .though, personally I would stick to 4% on an iron barrel and 3% on nicasil lined ,yes oil is better these days ,so there is an argument either way, if your happy to drop your oil ratio on an expensive kit , so be it !
HxPaul

I've got a Casa 210 on one scooter and a Casa 185 on the other,I've done thousands of miles on each without trouble.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information