Refueling routine. It's been a long time

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
onthelam
Main scooter: not yet

I will be borrowing a S3 TV175 for my general running around and local commute. Haven't ridden a Lammy since about '68
What do guys do for adding oil at petrol stations? Graduated beaker? Large syringe? I'm like to keep it as slick and easy as possible.
coaster

Measuring jug graduated in litres at 3%. You put your petrol in remembering to stop short of the top and then add the required amount of oil per litre of fuel. If you put too much fuel in though you are a bit buggered. I saw someone using a graduated dip stick once and copied the idea. Its just a length of wooden dowel marked by adding 1 litre at a time and adding a mark. I dip the tank to see how many litres it will need to fill up, add the required oil and THEN add the fuel. That way you end up with oil as a percentage of what you added rather than what fuel you added PLUS your dollop of oil. Probably not that significant with a standard tank though ;)

Enjoy riding the TV 8-)
jonzo172

I use a large syringe bought from a vets which I have attached a length of fuel pipe to the end. I just draw up oil from the bottle then dispense straight into the tank. I'm not sure it's any cleaner but seems less hassle somehow.
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

I have several 150cl plastic bottles filled with 2-stroke oil.. I put the oil in tank prior to filling up. If 5l of petrol goes in the tank i'm running at 3% if 7.5l goes in i'm running at 2%, my engine is happy with either amount.
Timbo
Main scooter: SX200 and GP230 RT

At home I have 4 plastic 5 litre petrol containers mixed with 3% oil. When I ride out I start with a full tank. I used to take a small plastic container/bottle with enough oil for 10 litres of petrol. More than enough for a days ride and back, This container is marked in 5 litres and common sense tells you if you need a bit more or a bit less oil.. It won’t make any difference on a standard set up if you put a bit more or a bit less oil in. One bit of advice if your meeting up with friends for a ride out whether it’s a small or a large group turn up with a full tank. Nowt worse than when your about to ride off someone saying I need to fill up first....🙈
Tractorman
Main scooter: Lambretta li150 special

Timbo wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:20 am At home I have 4 plastic 5 litre petrol containers mixed with 3% oil. When I ride out I start with a full tank. I used to take a small plastic container/bottle with enough oil for 10 litres of petrol. More than enough for a days ride and back, This container is marked in 5 litres and common sense tells you if you need a bit more or a bit less oil.. It won’t make any difference on a standard set up if you put a bit more or a bit less oil in. One bit of advice if your meeting up with friends for a ride out whether it’s a small or a large group turn up with a full tank. Nowt worse than when your about to ride off someone saying I need to fill up first....🙈
With you there. One of our club always was the first on at the meeting point and then wanted to stop for fuel at a local garage!
Muttley McLadd

Timbo wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:20 am Nowt worse than when your about to ride off someone saying I need to fill up first....🙈
Fall behind, get left behind...?
CakeAndArseParty
Burnside
Main scooter: Lambretta TV200

mick1 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:58 am I have several 150cl plastic bottles filled with 2-stroke oil.. I put the oil in tank prior to filling up. If 5l of petrol goes in the tank i'm running at 3% if 7.5l goes in i'm running at 2%, my engine is happy with either amount.
I do the same as this but also with some 250ml bottles as I have a mid range tank. Fill them up at home and then when refueling just empty a bottle in a fill up with fuel. A litre of petrol out either way isn't going to kill your scooter.
YAMLAM

me, oil in first from 3% jug if tanks pretty empty, let the incoming fuel mix it up for me. if im just topping up, fuel in first ,stopping short so theres room to add the oil. then a good side to side shake !!
win or lose have a booze
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

I use these,the 100mil bottles.1 bottle with 75mil is 3per cent of 2.5 litres of petrol,two bottles will give you 5 litres at 3 per cent.I can fit six of these bottles in my standard tool box,thats almost 300 miles and I fill my tank before I set off on a run,thats besides all the tools that I need,plus waterproofs.Remember to put oil in frst
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Plastic-Bott ... 1438.l2649.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information