Nordlock washers

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
GTFOMWSC
Main scooter: GP230 Super Monza CS Tuned

Right i really need an answer on this if anyone is certain as i'm actually concerned re these washers.To cut a long story short using SIP wheels and studs and nuts with these washers and the rear wheel came off going round an island.Now it had been running fine for over 60 miles when a check of brake pads was done meaning taking of wheel and fitting new nordlocks within 15 miles wheels off!.So refit with both new nuts and washers test ride 30 mins ago up the A5,stopped to check after 6 miles and 1 nut loose!.Head home after tightening it up and all 4 are loose again.Yes tightened properly so its not a caae of not tight enough to start with.My question is as i noticed just now is are these washers supposed to be all with the nordlock wording on the top or can they be either way up? i ask because i had 2 of them up and the other 2 down.If it is a case of them having to all be the same way why hasn't this been specified it would explain why peoples wheels are coming off can anyone shed light on this i'm heading to Warmwell friday and i'm pretty concerned about this.
the man don't give a f@@k
garry inglis
Main scooter: ts1 230 and rb200

you make sure the ridged sides rub against each other when you tighten it up and you feel them lock up you have been lucky not to have a big accident
GTFOMWSC

garry inglis wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:50 pm you make sure the ridged sides rub against each other when you tighten it up and you feel them lock up you have been lucky not to have a big accident
yes they were and felt them lock up as well
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

GTFOMWSC wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:43 pm Right i really need an answer on this if anyone is certain as i'm actually concerned re these washers.To cut a long story short using SIP wheels and studs and nuts with these washers and the rear wheel came off going round an island.Now it had been running fine for over 60 miles when a check of brake pads was done meaning taking of wheel and fitting new nordlocks within 15 miles wheels off!.So refit with both new nuts and washers test ride 30 mins ago up the A5,stopped to check after 6 miles and 1 nut loose!.Head home after tightening it up and all 4 are loose again.Yes tightened properly so its not a caae of not tight enough to start with.My question is as i noticed just now is are these washers supposed to be all with the nordlock wording on the top or can they be either way up? i ask because i had 2 of them up and the other 2 down.If it is a case of them having to all be the same way why hasn't this been specified it would explain why peoples wheels are coming off can anyone shed light on this i'm heading to Warmwell friday and i'm pretty concerned about this.
Make sure that you use nylock nuts that screw onto the studs far enough,or put locking fluid on the threads of the studs.I use domed nuts with locking fluid on the threads with good spring washers and I have never had loose wheel nuts.
hendy
Main scooter: lambretta li 125

If you use nord lock washers, nylocs will be of no benefit at all. When you fit nord locks, you need to make sure that the faces with the ramps are against each other. The faces with the tiny vertical ribs must be against the rim and the nut. You MUST NOT use any other washers.

I assume that the rim studs screw into the hub just like standard ones because if they can spin then the nord locks are useless.

We use a lot of these at work; thousands in fact and I've never known one come loose if installed correctly.
dennis
Main scooter: 1 gp 1 special

Front or back,or both wheels with loose nuts?.
diesel
Playstation gamer tag: speilekorps
Main scooter: lambretta li 150 s1 1958

Theres some interesting information on the following clip regarding increasing the torque rating for certain materials. Apparently the nordlock washer creates resistance which needs to be overcome to achieve full torque. I lost three nuts on a sip alloy and thought I had a puncture, the nuts are an oddball size so I had to borrow nuts from the front wheel and bodge another with a large washer because ordinary nuts wont fit in the wheel nut recess . I now have two spare sets in the tool kit but have not had to use them. Ive painted lines on the nuts face so I can tell at a glance if they've moved. If an adult could look over the following clip and verify if torque needs to be increased by 20% for alloy Rims.

[youtube][/youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPCfd4Zr6rE
Last edited by diesel on Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
garry inglis
Main scooter: ts1 230 and rb200

all i can think of is are the studs tight in hub and check the thread in the nuts you get also is the hub origional or new when you put the wheel on is it sitting tight on the flat ridges on the hub
GTFOMWSC

HxPaul wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:25 pm
GTFOMWSC wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:43 pm Right i really need an answer on this if anyone is certain as i'm actually concerned re these washers.To cut a long story short using SIP wheels and studs and nuts with these washers and the rear wheel came off going round an island.Now it had been running fine for over 60 miles when a check of brake pads was done meaning taking of wheel and fitting new nordlocks within 15 miles wheels off!.So refit with both new nuts and washers test ride 30 mins ago up the A5,stopped to check after 6 miles and 1 nut loose!.Head home after tightening it up and all 4 are loose again.Yes tightened properly so its not a caae of not tight enough to start with.My question is as i noticed just now is are these washers supposed to be all with the nordlock wording on the top or can they be either way up? i ask because i had 2 of them up and the other 2 down.If it is a case of them having to all be the same way why hasn't this been specified it would explain why peoples wheels are coming off can anyone shed light on this i'm heading to Warmwell friday and i'm pretty concerned about this.
Make sure that you use nylock nuts that screw onto the studs far enough,or put locking fluid on the threads of the studs.I use domed nuts with locking fluid on the threads with good spring washers and I have never had loose wheel nuts.
SIP wheels not standard they come with the longer studs etc all was fine until the wheel was removed and the replaced with new Nordlocks
GTFOMWSC

hendy wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:59 pm If you use nord lock washers, nylocs will be of no benefit at all. When you fit nord locks, you need to make sure that the faces with the ramps are against each other. The faces with the tiny vertical ribs must be against the rim and the nut. You MUST NOT use any other washers.

I assume that the rim studs screw into the hub just like standard ones because if they can spin then the nord locks are useless.

We use a lot of these at work; thousands in fact and I've never known one come loose if installed correctly.
no not nylocs using correct sip nuts and studs with supplied Nordlocks only changed the Nordlocks as you can't use them twice and used the actual nordlock not the other sort.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information