Engine Nip!

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Martin20
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 150 Special

Evening all,
Running in my LIS150, after new piston and rings. Done around 60 miles, so far, nice and steady with no problems. Been out tonight and tackled a few longish hills which I guess put a little too much strain on the engine as it nipped up! I pulled in clutch, coasted for a 100 yards or so, let clutch out whilst in second gear and she started and got me the 4 miles or so home without further issues!
Question is, will I have done any damage, or can I just continue to 'run in' for another 100 miles or so?
All,advice/comments, appreciated.
Cheers
Martin
garry inglis
Main scooter: ts1 230 and rb200

just carry on you did the right thing when it nipped the rings will have smoothed out any small marks and you should put 5 to 600 miles on to run it in
Martin20

Thanks for reply Gary. That's a relief! Was hoping I didn't have to strip down, clean up, and start all over again!. Only problem I can see now is that by the time I have put 600 miles on I will probably be too old to ride it lol!
garry inglis

No problems just keep checking plug colour and check carb jetting is richer for running in

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk
Martin20

No problems just keep checking plug colour and check carb jetting is richer for running in

I am running with a standard 18mm delly with recommended jets ie. 101 main jet. Should I increase to say, 105, for running in, or will adjusting the air mixture screw outwards to run richer suffice?
garry inglis

Yes adjust it for a a tad rich as you are only 1/4 to half throttle running in your main is ok as you won't be running flat out yet or you shouldn't be lol

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk
storkfoot
Main scooter: '70 GP150 [TS1 225]

Avoid long hills with such a low mileage and, if you do, take them in third with high revs as the increased fan speed will cool the cylinder.

Dependent on the piston to bore clearance, you need to run your barrel in carefully and , at your sort of mileage, you should be running around town, going up and down the gears and not labouring the engine.

Not much fun though ;-)

Ps, if you seize it again, if it was me, I 'd take the top end off and check it out.
Daggs

Personally, after any "nip-up" I would open it up.
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

I run in "short and hard"- on 4% semi synth.

Loads of short journey (3 miles max), using all the gears and giving it some "welly". Back home- let it cool and repeat. Up and down the box- don't be afraid to rev it. Don't leave it in one gear for too long, and don't let it labour on hills.

Works for me

Chris
Scootering since 1968.
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

"I pulled in clutch, coasted for a 100 yards or so, let clutch out whilst in second gear ", I used to do this, until I broke rings trying it and it left me stranded in the middle of nowhere and needing recovery. I got a 'rocket up the a$$' when I told a respected engine builder what I'd done and he said that I should NEVER to this again as it places massive pressure on the engine components and an easy way to snap rings. I was suitably told off!

Much better idea to pull clutch in , coast to a stop, take the plug out and sit chilling out for 5 whilst the motor cools. With any luck the top end will free off as it cools and you can then restart and off you go, without putting the massive stress of trying to force rings and piston free in a 'make or break' situation... as break is quite likely.

Adam
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information