Scootering credit where its due

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
johnny650
Main scooter: lambretta 64 li 150 Special

I'm really liking the new content and layout of the scootering magazine this past year or so.
I always go straight to the various tests and technical stuff and there has certainly been plenty of it .

I really enjoyed the Clubman exhaust dyno test article this month . Its certainly been long overdue imho especially as clubman type exhausts are probably the most prolific upgrade choice for those with standard to stage 4 engines.

The only test I thought conspicious by its absence was that for a standard series 3 box ! Its a great shame as it would have given a great benchmark for test results and confirmed the difference in performance between a standard exhaust and a clubman once and for all.

I was very surprised at the high rpm at which all of the boxes reached their peak output. I expected them to peak at around 5-6000rpm so that standard untuned engines would benefit the most from upgrading to a clubman from a standard exhaust. I would have expected that the most popular high performance exhaust upgrade choice for a high revving tuned engine would have been an expansion type exhaust not a clubman.
garry inglis
Main scooter: ts1 230 and rb200

Totally agree great test with more to come pity the best box up to now is the very noisy vw reverse cone

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk
johnny650

I was surprised at how well the big bore performed at mid rev band ... I just sold one that had sat on the shelf unused for 2x years ! I'm beginning to regret that now lol.

I hope Darrel adds a standard series 3 box to the list so that we can see the difference in bolt on performance of the various clubmans .... perhaps he looks in here occasionally..

I'm loving all the great tech articles that have been coming through since the 'Bang for Buck' series.
Darrell Taylor
Dealer
Main scooter: LAMBRETTA

hi ,yes look in now and then , still lots more exhaust tests to come including a stock series 3 pipe that was quite difficult to find

Now theres a question WHAT IS A STOCK SERIES 3 PIPE
during the production of the many series 3 models at the various capacity that they were sold in from 1st to last models was the exhaust used 1 fits all ,,did the factory improve it or amend it for later higher performing models ,,,then did the spanish or indian pipes vary also again to suit capacity and year

not something i know the answer to , anyone have any info..
feel free to use this link to contact me on facebook and like it(if u like it)
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Taylor-T ... 8819767924
vegansydney

Darrell Taylor wrote:WHAT IS A STOCK SERIES 3 PIPE
To the best of my (limited) knowledge, there is was only 2 different exhausts used for Innocenti Series 3 models. S1 and S2 production is a little more complex.

The early Series 3 had a 'mushroom' baffle and was fitted to the LI/3, TV/3, LIS and SX200 (pictures below). This is sometimes referred to as a 'clover leaf' due to the tailpipe.

SX150 and all GP/dl abandoned the mushroom baffle and the tailpipe design was changed also.

johnny650

@ Darrell ...thanks for responding ,we are really appreciating your excellent articles and tests which have thrown up some really interesting, informative and sometimes unexpected results....keep them coming.

Some suggestions for other topics might be.. gearing for performance,.....carburation and of course .....Ignition timing . Plenty to get your teeth stuck into there ;)

@ sydney ....great post ! where on earth did you find that ?
garry inglis
Main scooter: ts1 230 and rb200

Second that nice find Sydney

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk
Darrell Taylor
Dealer

great reply sydney ,, u must have an archive of photo,s to provide those so quickly any thoughts on spanish and indian exhausts
Darrell Taylor
Dealer

johnny650 wrote:@ Darrell ...thanks for responding ,we are really appreciating your excellent articles and tests which have thrown up some really interesting, informative and sometimes unexpected results....keep them coming.

Some suggestions for other topics might be.. gearing for performance,.....carburation and of course .....Ignition timing . Plenty to get your teeth stuck into there ;)

cheers , they are hard work finding time to do but it does allow me to see the results also in a more indepth view than ive observed before so im continuing learning from them too,,
yes lots of stuff to cover for future topics , i often go with what i feels of most interest
dirtyhandslopez

Well nice. Thank ya.
That's not going anywhere...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information