Lubricating nylon cable

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
mr mugello

Lubricating a nylon outer cable to help with easing a clutch. Read this might help, but mind what lubricant you use to prevent damage to nylon lining. Before nylon cables I used just gearbox oil. Is this ok with the newer nylon outers ? What lubricant is to be avoided. No funny answers please ! :lol:
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

Try a silicon based lubricant like gt85
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

I've always been told,wether its true or just a rumour,that you should never use ordinary oil,such as gearbox oil,on nylon lined cables because it makes them swell up.
gaz_powell

I just put a thin layer of silicon grease on - no adverse issues
warts
Main scooter: honda

Most nylons will swell after coming into contact with hydro carbons.

The design idea of nylon lined cables is that they don't need lubrication - but here we are...
Perhaps the wrong grade was used, although that is hard to imagine happening in Lambretta World.

Silicone grease or maybe a decent PTFE lube may work. Are the inners coated too.
You can get PTFE tubing - liners for mig welding torch used on Al. for example - use that to line a regular cable.
Burnside
Main scooter: Lambretta TV200

^ I use this as well, I only resort to 2 stroke oil if changing a cable when out on the road
jonzo172

Burnside wrote:
^ I use this as well, I only resort to 2 stroke oil if changing a cable when out on the road
Putoline PTFE cable guard spray is the only product I have found that's specifically formulated to help lubricate nylon lined cables.
I also use it on my road (cycle) bikes too. Unfortunately it looks as though Putoline are dropping it from their range of "care products".
mr mugello

rosscla wrote:Try a silicon based lubricant like gt85
That's handy. Got a can of this sitting on the shelf. I thought this was the same as wd40 , but reading the can it contains ptfe. PTFE is also known as Teflon I see after a quick Google of the abbreviation.
a.lo.v2
Main scooter: sx 200

i use dry graphite powder, or gt85.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information