Oil coming from gear selector

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Den 08
Main scooter: lambretta Gp 225

Just rebuilt top end after 1500 miles rb250 new main oil seal all good,my question is/will the gearbox end creat much pressure ? been for a run going great when back noticed gear oil on back tyre on close inspection noticed load of oil around to gear selector.
GeorgeS
Main scooter: 1961 Series II Granturismo 240

Ang pressure should vent via the breather, us it blocked? Maybe it's just come from elsewhere and collected around those areas.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Den 08

Thanks Gearges, just put new mb long breather in blew both ways so i know that is clear, will the gearbox creat that much pressure it is quite a bit of oil
I'm thinking all new front end seals are good and now back end is failing ffs i know they say the rb is a lot of maintenance but 1500 miles i sort of know it is, but does the gearbox end creat much pressure, mind i was giving it some around the local bypas they do go well :shock:
garry inglis
Main scooter: ts1 230 and rb200

They don't create that much pressure it's just everything's spinning fast and the oil finds the week spot you don't say if it's an li or gp an li is easy to fix take rear wheel and hub off undo the gear arm and replace oil seal the gp is a strip down to replace the seal as it's a fixed selector arm

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk
coaster

The only pressure should be just due to heat expansion. As Gary says, oil is thrown all over the place by the chain/clutch/gears and it will 'climb' up the gear selector shaft aided by capillary attraction, that's why it should have an 'O' ring fitted at the top which should be changed on every rebuild but is often missed or the old one put back in.
Daggs

I once had this issue on an Li I had rebuilt. Fitted a new o-ring to the gear selector shaft, using a slightly oversize one for better sealing.
Next morning the oil had returned, without riding the scoot !

Turned out to be a leaking rear suspension unit ...........................
Den 08

As gary mentioned about heat expansion, i was having oil leakage from breather so i thought i'd sorted that, the gauze was like a solid block :shock: So sorted that with sponge then the main drive seal went but that might have gone before the gauze issue any way doneu the main seal and bought the super-duper mb one with extended pipe :lol: Went for a blast for about 10-15 miles dual cariagway up and down the gears really pushing and now this, i suppose that is what they mean by high maintenance picking out week spots but having said that everything was new about 1500 miles ago, oh well another strip down, its a gp running 16-47 sx200 box pushup chain tensioner i wonder if all these parts add to different pressures on the oil. I know i'm kidding me self :D
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information