Timing Casatronic

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

As I say, I'd generally look for something like 23/24 down to 16/15, regardless of what advance/retard ignition type you are using so this fits with what it says on the Casa video. As such, I would stick to that recommendation for their product. The key thing for you to do is to accurately find TDC and then mark the range of ignition advance that you are hoping to set it to (e.g. 24-16) and then adjust so that you have it swinging (advance/retarding) between these marks.

You will need to strobe the engine to determine your starting point, low rev, mid rev and high rev. This is how you will also check that the auto advance/retard function is actually working, otherwise you could set it to 24, find it doesn't advance/retard, and you then seize it on your first long straight run because it is still stuck at 24, whereas you were expecting it to have retarded to approx. 19 (or other).

Have you tried setting it as per the Casa video?

Adam
garry inglis
Main scooter: ts1 230 and rb200

Micky boy makes it look easy on them vids

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
corrado
Dealer

I know of at least 3 versions of full this type of ignition system .... The Casatronic, the Varitronic and the Tutto Lambretta/Ducati 12 volt GP variable electronic kit, has anybody used more than one of them and are there any pros and cons to each one, over the others. Ive only used a Varitronic and so far found it excellent. I need to look at the curves though as I suspect most of my riding is at around 5k to 5.5k.
gerryjunior
Xbox live gamer tag: no
Playstation gamer tag: no
Main scooter: lambretta li 2

I use a casatronic on my ss225 , it has been very reliable so far, I timed it at 16 and it go's to 24 , no issues so far, don't see many benefits on a standard 200,
joespeed

i have 3 varitronics,6rivets and improved 8 rivets,the better flywheel is the casatronic one piece but the sprint lads cant remove the fan,it also has a nice regulator as per origional scooter so looks authentic,parts are expensive but more reliable,i have sheared the rivets on both 6 and 8 rivet varitronic flywheels, but on the whole a good set up!
Scootermonkey

Cheers guys. As I said not looking for any increases in speed, just reliability. I haven't fitted the engine back in the frame yet as it's just had a full rebuild so I'll let you know how it goes. 24-16 seems to be favourite as far as I can see. Thanks for your comments
How hard can it be!
Lambretta, the finest scooter............IN THE WORLD!
Timbo
Main scooter: SX200 and GP230 RT

Adam_Winstone wrote:^... really?

However, as my comment might suggest, there could be less reward from fitting one to a less peaky setup that already has a good spread of power.

PS - Tim, does that mean that you want to cut your losses and flog me a 6K unit as I've been thinking of buying another?

That was my point Adam, I had mine fitted as part of a dyno deal, not sure it was necessary :? ....sold it a couple of years ago otherwise you could of had it ;)
Adam_Winstone

^.... ta anyway :)
gerryjunior
Xbox live gamer tag: no
Playstation gamer tag: no
Main scooter: lambretta li 2

Adam ,I have an augusto but I think its a 7000 , let me kow if you need it.
Adam_Winstone

^... thanks, gerryjunior but I'm only half thinking of picking up another unit at the moment but it would need to be a 6000 unit. Cheers for responding though :)

Adam
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information