Timing Casatronic

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Scootermonkey

Hi. Fitting a Casatronic kit to a standard 200 engine. On the CASA video on YouTube it suggests 24 degrees at 2000 revs. Anyone fitted this kit and know the ideal timing set up? Cheers
How hard can it be!
Lambretta, the finest scooter............IN THE WORLD!
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

I suppose it's not where you start but where you are at you're cruising and flat out rev's. Depending on gearbox, you may wish to fully retard at 6, 7, 8, thousand revs. If you go for 7 thousand rev's you want to be strobing it at 16/17 degree.

be careful if you cruise at say 5 thousand revs (not on the main jet) and the timing may only have retarded to 20 degree at this point.

don't think I've explained it too well but I hope you get the drift.
Muppet
Main scooter: SX 150 running in

why 16 or 17; why not 14 or 15
C’est la vie
fairspares
Main scooter: Lambretta GP RB252

Muppet wrote:why 16 or 17; why not 14 or 15
because thats too advanced for a standard 200 ?
Fairspares Lambretta workshop.
Scootermonkey

So does 24 sound right at fast idle? Or should it be less?
How hard can it be!
Timbo
Main scooter: SX200 and GP230 RT

Do you actually need one.... :? ...best thing I ever did was to remove my Augusto....(spelling)
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

^... really?

Fitting an Agusto unit to some of my peakier motors / pipes has dramatically improved the ride. However, as my comment might suggest, there could be less reward from fitting one to a less peaky setup that already has a good spread of power.

I've fitted Agusto 6K units to a number of my bikes, having also dabbled with the 8K units, and have made the change to an M-Tech unit on one of mine so that I can play with the variable profiles. That said, I did try another fixed profile ignition type on a different motor and couldn't get it set in a manner that I was happy with... perhaps a reflection on the motor in question.

Adam

PS - Tim, does that mean that you want to cut your losses and flog me a 6K unit as I've been thinking of buying another?
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Personally I find that something like 23/24 down to 16/15 is pretty much right for most motors, the only difference being the rate of change and/or profile that gets you there.

Mick is right to say that you need to be considering where you are (firing point) at the revs that you're running at. If you have a fast rate of retard then you might already be at 16 at 5000 rpm or you may still be at 21 degrees if the rate is slower. This is the issue of matching the profile/rate to your requirements.

There are lots of threads on advance retard ignitions and many touch on the subject of bikes running cool at 7k rpm but running hot at 5k rpm on relaxed Sunday rideouts. The million dollar question is which advance/retard (kit, profile and setting) is right for each individual motor/setup? Each is unique to motor and rider requirement.

Static timing is a good way of finding a compromise firing point that serves all requirements reasonably well... but cannot find the optimum for all requirements (e.g. around town, Sunday rideout, dual carriageway cruising, mountain, touring 2-up, touring in Europe with nasty fuel (and the UK too!), sprinting, 'flat out motorway to the coast or I'll miss the ferry', etc.). Around town I'd want 22, general commuter use I'd want 19 and 'catch the ferry' I'd want 16.... but 16 would be harder work for around town and Sunday mass rideout.

Adam
Scootermonkey

Reason for fitting is because fed up of replacing crap quality Indian stators. Even the BGM wasn't up to its name. I've had problems with the running of this standard engine so everything has been replaced now with good quality parts.
As for the intended use, well general local riding and the usual Sunday ride outs. Not interested in balls out speed but more reliability.
Thanks for your comments so far
How hard can it be!
joespeed

this is the best system out for reliability !
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information