which lambretta gearbox?

If you want to tell us about or ask about a standard spec or restoration project....post it here.
Toddy
Main scooter: Lambretta Series 1

I built a couple of Mugelloo/Casa Small blocks with LI125 gearboxes as long as you get the ratios right they are spot on and you can pick up cheaper than the li150 boxes
As my Dad used to say "Each to their own lad"
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

I have an Indian Li150 box and the shim thats supposed to go on the bottom of the cluster wont sit deep enough,the recess on 4th gear hasn't been machined deep enough and when fitted and tightened up the whole gearbox locks up.
joespeed

HxPaul wrote:I have an Indian Li150 box and the shim thats supposed to go on the bottom of the cluster wont sit deep enough,the recess on 4th gear hasn't been machined deep enough and when fitted and tightened up the whole gearbox locks up.

paul are you sure that the bearing race is 'home' and not proud sticking up as we might say in yorkshire!
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

Positive,the rear sprocket is fitted and everything is tightened and torqued to the correct figure.The only way that the cluster will spin free is to remove the shim and refit.I've since fit an Innocenti Li150 gearbox with the shim fitted on the cluster and had no trouble with that.
fairspares
Main scooter: Lambretta GP RB252

HxPaul wrote:I have an Indian Li150 box and the shim thats supposed to go on the bottom of the cluster wont sit deep enough,the recess on 4th gear hasn't been machined deep enough and when fitted and tightened up the whole gearbox locks up.
Af close ratio gearbox dosnt use a shim at the bottom of the cluster, ive not seen one but maybe the new indian li150 cluster is machined the same so also dosnt need one ?
Fairspares Lambretta workshop.
holty
Main scooter: lambretta gp

fairspares wrote:
Af close ratio gearbox dosnt use a shim at the bottom of the cluster, ive not seen one but maybe the new indian li150 cluster is machined the same so also dosnt need one ?
yes i would agree, af say not to fit a shim under the cluster, the cluster is tightened upto the bearing in the endplate so doesnt need the shim, i did have trouble with a gearbox a couple of weeks ago, it was indian and it was too short as a set, i ended up buying another sil 4th gear which fixed the problem, these indian boxes, do need checking before fitting , quality seems to be quite random
Suede Ed
Main scooter: SIL GP200

Slight change of plan, now obtained a SIL large block case and a SIL gp 200 gearbox and an Italian cylinder bored out to 225 (70mm?) So plan is now long rod crank for an old school 230 with a open mouth 30mm carb :) Will use a readspeed 5 plate clutch, questions now: Whats the benefit of a lightened fly wheel, which crown wheel, also what exhaust... Franspeed? Cheers chaps..... Oh yeah front sprocket size?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information