oiltech casing alterations

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Scooterdude
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 125 S3

garry inglis wrote:I've lost faith in the casing and on every run out you'll be wondering if it's going to go bang

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
well I Dident want to say that but yes.
Regarding oiltecs statement on this thread, was any of that explained to you before you had the work done?
225worb
Main scooter: Vespa 225, Falc , 230 S2

JB weld doesnt have the same expansion/contraction properties as ally especially when your using that amount ?? ive used small amounts of it before to correct damage cases and over time it starts to lift around the edges thus allowing air/oil/fuel leaks ,,,,Seize !!!!
With the amount of expense youve put into it gutted however it maybe try go again !!!

id be interested to see which way you go as im the process of going the same way machining wise !!!!
Good luck matey
joespeed

WHY GARY DID YOU HAVE THIS DONE!
there is only one reason why this is good idea!! the answer is to keep the innocenti number on the case and convert the small block into a large!! the better option is a new indian case.
garry inglis
Main scooter: ts1 230 and rb200

It's an Indian gp 150 from 85 or was and why not I hadn't seen anything on the forum about porosity and s**t welding I bet it's got everyone thinking now anyway I am going to strip it down and get a 200 casing as the only work I can trust is my own

mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

Can't help feeling Oiltech is getting too much "unfair" bad press out of this. His waiting list for getting a casing altered is something like 12 weeks, so that gives an idea of the amount of casings he does. This is the only negative issue that has come to light, although I'm sure there are more, it is certainly a small percentage of the work he does.

I considered a modification on my new Avanti kit, but after adding the costs of all the parts I was fitting (£2500?) I decided against it and bought a new casing. I realise the quality of the metal/alloy used in the casing can be unknown and the quality of the modification will be dependant on the quality of the casing.

Never-the-less I am having a casing modified and will build it with mainly used parts, upgrading when I am confident in the engine. The upgrade would be dependant on not only the casing, but other factors as well.

Good luck to Oiltech and remember the hundreds/thousands of successful modifications.
garry inglis

I agree with you Mick but I've just spent that £2500 and should have been fitting it in the scooter but now I am stripping everything down every nut bolt bearing seals gearbox clutch layshaft studs top end crank the work I put in to match the casing to barrel all that for £200 alteration but I don't hold grudges and iam certain my case is the only one I'll get a 200 case and carry on

garry inglis

already got a 200 casing from lambretta restore pick it up Saturday so I'll get it built next week alls good

Scooterdude

garry inglis wrote:already got a 200 casing from lambretta restore pick it up Saturday so I'll get it built next week alls goodImage

Bloody hell! You don't mess about do you!
joespeed

mess about ! took well over two months to weld this case and throw it at the internet only to come to the conclusion he has made the wrong move and and a costly mistake! think before you move!
Scooterdude

Yes hindsight's a wonderful thing, I think most of us will have done a lot of scooter stuff differently, I know I would have!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information