AF Lightened flywheel

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Fruitjuice

What do people use to bridge/stuff the gap between an AF Lightened flywheel and the flywheel shroud?
Or do you just trim down the flywheel shroud so it sits deeper and untill it's close enough to the flywheel?
Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, loudly proclaiming: "WOW, WHAT A RIDE"
ForemanBob
Main scooter: GP RT230

have a look on ebay at present... Taffspeed are selling a fan cowl spacer. Pictures describe exactly how it works
Fruitjuice

What material is this made from? Plastic or some type of foam? I assume this sticks to the inside of the cowl with glue or some sort of adhesive?
Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, loudly proclaiming: "WOW, WHAT A RIDE"
belly
Main scooter: series 2 Li with TS1

Get a thick nylon chopping board and cut a ring to fit, Secure with 4 M4 BOLTS
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

I start with an Indian cowling that was intended for long fin flywheel, then cut a strip off (at the correct depth) so that all original bolt holes are removed... I then drill my own at the new depth. The front of the cowling needs modifying to clear the 2 projections that the head cowling bolts onto (I used to reshape the cowl over then but I've just cut out corresponding slots on the last one) and then reshape the front flat section so that it meets correctly with the head cowl.

It takes a bit of messing about but once it is done, it's done!

Adam
Knowledge
Dealer
Main scooter: GP

belly wrote:Get a thick nylon chopping board and cut a ring to fit, Secure with 4 M4 BOLTS
From IKEA
Martin
garry inglis
Main scooter: ts1 230 and rb200

why not buy a short fin cowling just a thought
Adam_Winstone

^... still not ideal for the AF light flywheels (based on J Range flywheel casting) as the fins are very low compared to a standard Lambretta flywheel.
YAMLAM

i`ve been running the AF flywheel since it came out in the late 80`s with a standard italian (short ) cowling, never had a problem . ( what problem is there meant to be ?)
win or lose have a booze
Adam_Winstone

^... me too, also without issue, however, the theory is that the cooling is considerably more efficient if the fins are closer to the cowling face. If you think about how the fan wants to work by forcing the air out of the cowling and into the head cowling, rather than just stirring it up a little inside the fan cowling, it does make sense that the fins do not want to be too far away from the inside face of the cowling.

Whilst I've not had issues with cooling being an issue, I do think that the theory makes good engineering sense and so have addressed the issue and not had any cooling issues with modified cowlings either. I guess this is a case of betterment, rather than fix.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information