oiltech casing alterations

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
garry inglis
Main scooter: ts1 230 and rb200

Drive side bearing in and new plate crank when tin a dream mag housing on had to use 1mm gasket to get clearance on crank just waiting for packing plates ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
garry inglis

Reedspeed 5 plate clutch with mb springs put a 2mm top plate on for a bit more clearance Image

Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

Just an observation. I don't know what your thoughts on the matter are, but I've seen some chatter lately about pull down chain tensioners creating more drag on the chain and reducing power.
garry inglis

not heard anything but if you set them with the normal 6 to 10 mm slack built in ive had no problems i have two others on my scooters and no problem
Suede Ed
Main scooter: SIL GP200

Has anyone had a casing conversion done by mike phoenix?
garry inglis

Image setting up tdc and checking port timings

hydra
Dealer

Hi,
Maybe we should accept that it isn't the welding that creates a porous Casing here. If you look at some of the photo's, especially of inside the Crank area and cylinder base Gasket area, there are blow holes where there hasn't actually been any welding done, add to this 50 years of petrol/oil soaked Casings and i reckon it's an up hill task to weld perfect. Adding more and more layers of weld does seal the Casing better and gives strength to the Pins that are welded into the casing for the new stud holes and re welding blow holes after machining could cause issues with heat distortion, as prior to welding, a steel plug is fitted into the Casing to help stop this, although the Mag transfer port always moves and as a consequence the Mag flange/transfer port area is machined also. As a note Indian Casings weld up better, whether that's because of the Aluminium casting or because they have not had as much petrol/oil, I don't know. Also, as previously mentioned we do also now sand blast and wash with Acetone prior to welding, but even this can't reach into 50 years of soaked Casings and so as soon as welding starts, the Casing turns into a volcano and the gases can create blow holes. So if anyone can get a Crystal ball and see if there Casing is one of these....don't send it. You wouldn't believe the state of some of the Casings that arrive, some look like they have just been removed from a swamp, some have all the studs and Bearings in, etc, etc.
The choice of whether or not you send a Casing or not is yours, but if you want perfection....buy a new Casing, simple.
Thank you, Paul - Oiltek
garry inglis

Well said paul

garry inglis

Image getting there now barrel has gone to rayspeed to get some porting done when that comes back ill get it finished

garry inglis

Image linkage set from af £60 solid aluminium look really nice silver or red

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information