oiltech casing alterations

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
garry inglis
Main scooter: ts1 230 and rb200

ive just had a spare 150 casing redone into a 200 and what a lovely job they have done i also got them to put a 1mm trench in for crank rod space asi am not sure what i am doing yet but you have to wait 6 to 8 weeks so plan ahead for £212 posted back you cant complain :D
garry inglis

Here's the casing I am going to build ImageImage iam just cleaning it up and getting ready to fit rear bearing Image using one of these tools from mb they are brilliant next in is layshaft gearbox and a gp endplate I have cut off the ramp as i am fitting an li rampImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hendy
Main scooter: lambretta li 125

I had mine done last year and was happy with the job overall but I did learn a lesson.

There were quite a few 'harmless' dimples in the welds. One or two of these turned out to be porous and I had to seal them with epoxy. If I get another done I'll go over it and seal them before building my case and top end. It leaked like a sieve when I did a leak-down check.
garry inglis

Thanks HenndyI'll check for that there was some small holes in the spigot and I've sealed them with Jb weld I no they weren't right through but I did it anyway

garry inglis

Here iam just trying all my clutch parts got a reedspeed 5 plate with mb springs to go in and gt tensionerImage

Scooterdude
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 125 S3

Don't want to come over as negative but it looks a right f****n mess, why on earth have they not cleaned those welds up or re welded those blow holes until it was right rather than just leave it hoping the costumer doesent mind and have them messing about with jb weld?
As I say I don't want to appear negative but if that was mine I'd chuck it straight back at them, sorry.
hendy
Main scooter: lambretta li 125

Scooterdude wrote:Don't want to come over as negative but it looks a right f****n mess, why on earth have they not cleaned those welds up or re welded those blow holes until it was right rather than just leave it hoping the costumer doesent mind and have them messing about with jb weld?
As I say I don't want to appear negative but if that was mine I'd chuck it straight back at them, sorry.
I tend to agree with you, although I wasn't massively bothered by the welds not being cleaned up (he was completely up front and told me it would be like that).

The blow holes were disappointing though. Apparently Lambretta cases tend to do that when welded due to high zinc content or something like that. However I do think oiltek could spend a little time getting it right before sending. Mine appeared harmless but there must have been others within the welds that linked up to cause leak paths.
Scooterdude
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 125 S3

Might be worth looking at coating the entire area of the work with a Belzona product if your worried about porosity, without checking I couldn't say which would be the best but you could check their website for relevant information.
garry inglis

I must admit when I first saw it I thought the same but but you don't see the welding when the barrel is fit and the holes I filled were small blow holes I suppose they build up the weld with just enough to machine back down they do take it back about 5mm behind the gasket face I've checked mine and the rest looks good

garry inglis

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information