Malossi 172 - Head advice needed

FREE tuning and maintenance info, plus links to our original tuning pages that started it all off.
Keeko
Main scooter: '97 Vespa T5 Classic

I'm about to take the plunge and buy myself a Malossi 172 Kit for my T5 classic for Xmas. I understand I have to buy an altered cylinder head too. Do the ones on SIP (the MMW ones at £165) have any advantage over having my own sent off to PM (or other tuner) to be altered at a fraction of the price? As always, thanks for your patience and opinions.
paul d
Main scooter: T5 172 Tv 240

I don't know which is better. If it were me I'd keep the standard unmodified head as a standby and buy an altered or an MMW one. I've only needed to use it once but for peace of mind on longer trips I always carry a spare standard set up in the toolbox as back up for myself or any other unfortunate! It's easy to whip off a damaged top end of a T5 at the side of the road if need be and the standard set up will get you home! The malossi kit transforms an already quick engine and is reliable. Set up tips...wash the barrel and piston well before assembly, you'll be shocked at how much swarf will accumulate in the bottom of whatever container you use for the wash. Standard timing is fine, at least 125 main if your using an expansion exhaust and standard carb, 120 with standard exhaust, 1% oil in with the petrol along with the autolube, 21 tooth clutch to give it a small gear up, sito plus or standard pipe if your travelling 2 up alot or living in a hilly region and use wellseal or another gasket product along with the base gasket during the build. Re torque the head bolts after 100 miles and let rip! Good luck with it.
Keeko
Main scooter: '97 Vespa T5 Classic

many thanks for the advice Paul, much appreciated.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information