GP LEGSHEILD FUEL TANK

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
shamrockexpress

Has anyone ever made the legsheild toolbox on a Lambretta GP (maybe metal PX style) into a petrol tank?
Or is it possible to buy such a thing, i can't see any drawbacks only positive things like weight forward, larger tank, easy to get at for refilling and lots of room under the panels for setting up carbs etc....
Knowledge
Dealer
Main scooter: GP

It certainly has been done. In fact, it can be essential if you have fitted a huge motorcycle engine beneath the panels.

My concern would be vibration. I like to rubber mount my (under panel) one-off tanks. This might be an issue when you are connecting a fuel tank to what is effectively a sheet of mild steel. You also need to consider how to accommodate the lower horncast bolts

I would imagine that all such tanks that have been made are not-offs, and it would not be possible to purchase one off the shelf. Perhaps there is a commercial opportunity for you. How good is your welding?
Martin
holty
Main scooter: lambretta gp

i considered one of these when i built my bike engined gp, but i opted for a tank under the frame loop as i needed the legshield toolbox as i have no other storage space, at the time beedspeed were selling them, and im sure ive seen them for sale by one of the vietnam companies, i did see one in use this year, it was on a self built lambretta with i belive a gilera water cooled barrel fitted, it was converted to crankcase induction and was using a tillotson carb which was using some of the space when the fuel tank would normally be, a very good job.
shamrockexpress

Thank for the replies, as said i would have two reasons,,,,,weight distribution and room beneath the panels for carb.........
gaz_powell

Saigon scooters used to do them
Mr G in NYC
Main scooter: SX200

I use a Rotax one gallon petrol container which can be used
behind the leg shield and can quickly be taken off and used
on another scooter if required . Great piece of Kit and very
handy when touring on a standard tank . G

warts
Main scooter: honda

tonydevon
Main scooter: '71 GP125

my Lamgiva ran one, leaked like a friggin sieve when I bought it and the fuel tap had been hammered in LOL

if you get one then make sure and fully pressure test it first, I used POR15 and sealed it after welding on a new threaded boss for a fuel take off, I fitted a simple barb and then used inline fueltap
heavy is good, heavy is reliable, and if it does fail, hit them with it!!!
shamrockexpress

Sounds like a bit of hassle but i,m sure its worth it have you any pics???
thank
100mphlambrettaclub
Dealer

There is one main problem in doing this. The petrol pipe has to cover a much longer distance and so the flow rate is drastically reduced if the carburettor is drawing maximum fuel. This in turn can lead to seizure or holing the piston. Yes you could run a fuel pump but it starts to get a bit to complicated.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information