tyre fitting split rims the right way

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
mr mugello

Now more safety wary as I get older. I never gave much thought fitting tyres in the past. I read from another site with regards on how to fit tyres correctly. It mentions to fully seat valve in the rim whole. Now I can seat the valve right up to its base when the rim is out of tyre, but not chance with the one rim on the tyre, about 4 or 5mm roughly short from the base. The valve base is just stopped by the tyre wall. The guide says remove a nick from the tyre side , which I've done by no more than 5mm. Still no joy. Remove anymore I'm worried about messing the tyre up dangerously. Never bothered about fussing around with this before. Does anyone else bother with trying to get the valve right up to its base, or just get as much of valve through as you possibly can ? cheers :D
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but I wouldn't worry about it. So long as the valve is in the correct position the pressure from the tube will press it out. If that's it.
Burnside
Main scooter: Lambretta TV200

Never worried about it, always fine once inflated. Which inner tubes are you using by the way as this will make a difference?
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

mr mugello wrote:Now more safety wary as I get older. I never gave much thought fitting tyres in the past. I read from another site with regards on how to fit tyres correctly. It mentions to fully seat valve in the rim whole. Now I can seat the valve right up to its base when the rim is out of tyre, but not chance with the one rim on the tyre, about 4 or 5mm roughly short from the base. The valve base is just stopped by the tyre wall. The guide says remove a nick from the tyre side , which I've done by no more than 5mm. Still no joy. Remove anymore I'm worried about messing the tyre up dangerously. Never bothered about fussing around with this before. Does anyone else bother with trying to get the valve right up to its base, or just get as much of valve through as you possibly can ? cheers :D
I always fit the tyres this way viewtopic.php?f=7&t=37637&p=285676&hili ... re#p285676
mr mugello

scootopia's tubes with their rims
mr mugello

Doom Patrol wrote:I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but I wouldn't worry about it. So long as the valve is in the correct position the pressure from the tube will press it out. If that's it.
Can't get valve fully through the rim hole right to the base of valve. The 5mm in height of rubber around base over metal valve, which won't pop through.
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

mr mugello wrote:
Doom Patrol wrote:I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but I wouldn't worry about it. So long as the valve is in the correct position the pressure from the tube will press it out. If that's it.
Can't get valve fully through the rim hole right to the base of valve. The 5mm in height of rubber around base over metal valve, which won't pop through.
Just fit it as in my last post and inflate the tyre,this will seat the valve.
mr mugello

Cheers. No problem getting tyre on with a bit of force and car shampoo( wax free). Just can see that valve is not fully through and will not because of tyre bead edge is in the way against internal valve base.
mr mugello

The sodding studs don't even hit the nyloc at the top of the 14mm nuts. The things I notice now, that never bothered in my youth.Long screwdrivers for flywheel holders, what's a torque wrench, they were the carefree days, lol.
mr mugello

Took rim apart to see if can sort of hold valve in place on rim hole while pushing tyre on. I noticed there is a fair size indentation on inner point of tyre what looks like the valve is pressing against. Is this the norm for the valve to be hard up against tyre when fully fitted ?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information