chrome frame ring removal

If you want to tell us about or ask about a standard spec or restoration project....post it here.
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

YAMLAM wrote:i had to replace one for a mate recently. i bought a 1mtre length of 16mm studding, ran a nut down about 35mm then put a rear hub cone on with the larger taper facing up, after heating the fork tube a bit i inserted the studding from the bottom end of the tube and used a club hammer to bash the old ring out, i had to re heat the tube four times before the bugger came out.
+1 The only thing to add is-dont forget to remove the grub screw holding the chrome ring in the frame.................you'll be surprised how many people forget.
YAMLAM

+1 The only thing to add is-dont forget to remove the grub screw holding the chrome ring in the frame.................you'll be surprised how many people forget.

very true, although the rings are such a tight fit ,i cant see what the grub screw actualy does.
win or lose have a booze
HxPaul

I think its mainly to stop the chrome ring from turning when the steering lock is applied.
hendy
Main scooter: lambretta li 125

Scooterdude wrote:I'm sure I heard somewhere that the eBay stainless ones are made wrong thus not making it possible to use the steering lock.
Aye, it was me who said that but I was talking out of my arse.

I'm reasonably good at the lambretta thing but having got back into them after more than 20 years I do talk s**t every now and then. Unintentionally of course.
Scooterdude
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 125 S3

hendy wrote:
Scooterdude wrote:I'm sure I heard somewhere that the eBay stainless ones are made wrong thus not making it possible to use the steering lock.
Aye, it was me who said that but I was talking out of my arse.

I'm reasonably good at the lambretta thing but having got back into them after more than 20 years I do talk s**t every now and then. Unintentionally of course.
think we're all guilty of that from time to time boss. After all it is the Internet !
mr mugello

Got my old one off. Not priced up the cost to get my original re chromed but I'm thinking its not going to be cheap. Was going to replace with Scootopia copy, not sure now ? Bit of a pain these items .
mr mugello

Scooterdude wrote:I had to thrash mine out from the bottom with a long steel bar and a very big hammer. But be carefull what you replace it with! I started by trying to fit a scootopia one that apart from being the wrong shape cut a groove in the back of the headlight. I then spent forty something quid on a Casa one in the belief that as it was Casa and expensive it would fit, well it ain't great I can tell you and about six months down the road I've noticed the Chrome plating is beginning to flake off! With hindsight I would have been better off replating the original one.
Did Scootopia send you a series 1 type part by mistake, when you say it was the wrong shape. Or are Series 1 a total different tube frame size.
Scooterdude

mr mugello wrote:
Scooterdude wrote:I had to thrash mine out from the bottom with a long steel bar and a very big hammer. But be carefull what you replace it with! I started by trying to fit a scootopia one that apart from being the wrong shape cut a groove in the back of the headlight. I then spent forty something quid on a Casa one in the belief that as it was Casa and expensive it would fit, well it ain't great I can tell you and about six months down the road I've noticed the Chrome plating is beginning to flake off! With hindsight I would have been better off replating the original one.
Did Scootopia send you a series 1 type part by mistake, when you say it was the wrong shape. Or are Series 1 a total different tube frame size.
I'm really not sure what they sent but when I placed the old one over the Scootopia one there was quite a difference in shape/diameter, that's after I took it off as it was cutting a groove in the back of the head lamp.
With hindsight I'd definitely have had the old one re-chromed.
HxPaul

Scootopia are advertising Lambretta chrome rings on ebay,their are three photos,one for a series 1,one for a series 2 and one for a series 3.The photos for the series 1 and the series 3 use the same photo for each one,the one for the series 2 is completely different.The series 3 chrome ring is completely different from the series 1.Maybe they've sent you the series 1 by mistake.
Scooterdude

HxPaul wrote:Scootopia are advertising Lambretta chrome rings on ebay,their are three photos,one for a series 1,one for a series 2 and one for a series 3.The photos for the series 1 and the series 3 use the same photo for each one,the one for the series 2 is completely different.The series 3 chrome ring is completely different from the series 1.Maybe they've sent you the series 1 by mistake.
Just checked the invoice and it states series 3, but it could have been a simple order picking mix up so best thing to do is always check against your original part whenever possible.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information