Paint strip petseal

Anything related to paint & bodywork issues on scooters....
mr mugello

Hi. What brand of paint stripper to remove old sealant from my tank. Heard Nitromorse is not very good now. Don,t know if it make sense to buy a new tankk with cost of repair for remover and sealant.
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

Sounds like you're talking about the inside of the tank. Nitromors, or any other paint stripper won't work. The old sealant will be hard and brittle and needs to be broken up. Most people put a handful of old nuts and bolts in the tank and shake it for all they're worth. Hopefully that will do the trick and you just tip the lot out.
Scooterdude
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 125 S3

No I recently used (or rather tried to use nitromors) for something else it is nothing like it used to be you could try caustic soda but I'd be inclined to get another tank.
EddieStone
Main scooter: Lambretta Li 150

Another tank is the best option, but it might be worth asking a local paint stripper place - the ones that dip it and use chemicals you don't want to go near. I had my panels stripped and it saved hours/days/weeks.
storkfoot
Main scooter: '70 GP150 [TS1 225]

Tankcare Products supply a Petseal remover. It does work. Neither caustic soda nor hydrochloric acid will.
mr mugello

Thanks for help. Petseal is breaking away like chunks of hard toffee. Not good !
EddieStone
Main scooter: Lambretta Li 150

Can you tap it on the outside with a hammer until it all falls off?
Toddy
Main scooter: Lambretta Series 1

storkfoot wrote:Tankcare Products supply a Petseal remover. It does work. Neither caustic soda nor hydrochloric acid will.
+1 for Tank care products
As my Dad used to say "Each to their own lad"
Herman
Main scooter: GP200

I've tried cleaning the inside of a standard rusty tank with paint stripper, nuts and bolts and a whole lot of shaking. Although I managed to remove a fair bit of rust, flakes and gunk, I ended up having to buy another tank and seal that. Seemed to be a false economy to try to sort the old tank out and really wasn't working very well.
Autobahn
storkfoot
Main scooter: '70 GP150 [TS1 225]

Herman wrote:I've tried cleaning the inside of a standard rusty tank with paint stripper, nuts and bolts and a whole lot of shaking. Although I managed to remove a fair bit of rust, flakes and gunk, I ended up having to buy another tank and seal that. Seemed to be a false economy to try to sort the old tank out and really wasn't working very well.
Cleaning a tank is pretty straightforward and cheap, albeit that you have to be very careful with caustic soda and spirit of salts. However, removing petseal is not the same process.

Trust me, the Petseal remover does work and will save another perfectly serviceable tank being tossed into the corner of the shed ;)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information