Disappointing RB20.

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
eden
Dealer

Adam_Winstone wrote:
lozmondo wrote:4.80 seems tall gearing for a revvy kit ?..I had similar on a TS, dropped a tooth and it transformed it
^... LIKE
he said he had Pacemaker box with 17/47 which is 5.01!
pacemaker with 18/47 is 4.80

only got to there in the topic so if that's been picked up in later posts... sorry :)
10 inch Terror
Xbox live gamer tag: No.
Playstation gamer tag: PLEASE!
Main scooter: Lambretta LI Imola 185

eden wrote:
Adam_Winstone wrote:
lozmondo wrote:4.80 seems tall gearing for a revvy kit ?..I had similar on a TS, dropped a tooth and it transformed it
^... LIKE
he said he had Pacemaker box with 17/47 which is 5.01!
pacemaker with 18/47 is 4.80

only got to there in the topic so if that's been picked up in later posts... sorry :)
When I split the casing it was 18/47 in there. I built it with AF's 4.8 recommendation in mind. I built it 2 years ago and couldn't remember what was in it.
eden
Dealer

what kind of riding do you do on it? do you do any long motorway stints? I would think that with 5.70 gearing that you don't as I'm sure if you were traveling at 70mph it would be revving its self to death.
lozmondo

My point on 4.80 was aimed atAF;s recomendation more than at Pete's (mr 10 inch) actual gearing
10 inch Terror

eden wrote:what kind of riding do you do on it? do you do any long motorway stints? I would think that with 5.70 gearing that you don't as I'm sure if you were traveling at 70mph it would be revving its self to death.
To be honest I just want it for short blasts around town and the odd A road. Something to have some fun on at traffic lights etc. I have an RB250 with a Cyclone for longer journeys. I'm going to go 46/16 and see how that pans out.
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

eden wrote:what kind of riding do you do on it? do you do any long motorway stints? I would think that with 5.70 gearing that you don't as I'm sure if you were traveling at 70mph it would be revving its self to death.
5.7 is exactly what a pal of mine used to run on an over ported Jap pistoned TS1 200 as it wouldn't pull 5.2 with a PM pipe on it. This bike was completely mental and was used on the roads in that configuration. The Taff HPC crank used to cope admirably and it was surprisingly reliable.

Watch out for people suggesting 5.0 or you'll probably find yourself back where you were at the start of this... out of the revs in 4th and... disappointed. Try 5.2 and see how you get on. What you should end up with is a bike that is happy to pull 4th under most conditions, whereas a bike that only pulls 4th under the right conditions (over geared) becomes tiresome and a chore to ride. Having to regularly drop to 3rd to get back in the power means that your bike is set up poorly.

Don't be scared of revs. If you're scared of it revving then you bought the wrong kit.

Adam
eden
Dealer

10 inch Terror wrote:
To be honest I just want it for short blasts around town and the odd A road. Something to have some fun on at traffic lights etc. I have an RB250 with a Cyclone for longer journeys. I'm going to go 46/16 and see how that pans out.

8-)
10 inch Terror

I possibly should of mentioned that I'm using a 100/90 rear tyre. I know a 400 X 10 tyre affects the gearing, would a 100/90 do the same?
10 inch Terror

If I put the tyre size in it comes up as tyre size error.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information