AF road cassette clutch

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
KCB

Hello,

Just bought one and the cassette doesn't move very well in the crown wheel.

Is it best to needle file the ears of the cassette or the crown wheel so that the cassette slides up and down easier?

If it is too loose does it cause problems?

Thanks.
Tractorman
Main scooter: Lambretta li150 special

If you bought this new it might be a good idea to contact the dealer about it before you start fettling.
Speed Demon
Dealer

KCB wrote:Hello,

Just bought one and the cassette doesn't move very well in the crown wheel.

Is it best to needle file the ears of the cassette or the crown wheel so that the cassette slides up and down easier?

If it is too loose does it cause problems?

Thanks.
It could be simply that the plates aren't aligned properly at the moment, and they won't be until the clutch has been compressed inside the basket. Try it before you go messing, and if it doesn't work properly then contact the retailer.
Get to SULK
10 inch Terror
Xbox live gamer tag: No.
Playstation gamer tag: PLEASE!
Main scooter: Lambretta LI Imola 185

I have the Road and Race versions of these clutches in different engines. The Race was a straight fit but the Road needed an hours worth of fettling before it worked correctly. Both are very good clutches but it's worth spending the extra on the Race in my opinion.
dapper
Main scooter: The Biriani Bullet

When I first fitted mine it had already been fettled by Martin (Just Lambretta). Had a problem where it would not disengage. Took the cassette out and it worked fine on the bench. Fitted again and there was no movement on the clutch at all. Turned out the christmas tree I had was too tall and the centre button on the clutch was right up against the top of the tree. Changed tree over to a slightly shorter one and all fine. Very good clutches IMO.
Compact Toolbox Flywheel Holder
KCB

10 inch Terror wrote:I have the Road and Race versions of these clutches in different engines. The Race was a straight fit but the Road needed an hours worth of fettling before it worked correctly. Both are very good clutches but it's worth spending the extra on the Race in my opinion.

Fettling how, filing the ears or the crown wheel?

Thanks
10 inch Terror
Xbox live gamer tag: No.
Playstation gamer tag: PLEASE!
Main scooter: Lambretta LI Imola 185

I took a fine file to the cork ears and to the steels. I just took all the burrs off until everything slid together nice and smoothly. It's worth the effort as they are a good clutch. When fitted with a decent nylon lined correctly routed clutch cable they are nice and light too.
bazza3004

This may sound daft but did you try rotating cassette one slot at a time to see if it was any better. Ive to of the road versions and one literally dropped in and out no problem were the other seemed to be catching i rotated the cassette and found this one them also dropped in and out with ease.
coaster

bazza3004 wrote:...................... the other seemed to be catching i rotated the cassette and found this one them also dropped in and out with ease.
By 'catching' do you mean it was 'jerky' when slipping it to pull away? That's what mine is doing, I can live with it but it's annoying. I have the centre for the earlier pressure plate with a nipple.
KCB

I rotated the cassette around until I found the best fit, but still a bithard to push in and out.

Filed the plate ears slightly and now goes in and out fine, very tight fit with bush in place though.

I will try it and see the results
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information