base gaskets

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
gaz_powell

I keep to finding the foil base gaskets for p2 found in gasket kits generally crap (tried many different makes) so ive had some made ala lambretta from a fibre/paper material, I`ve also had some SI carb and box ones made from the same material as lambretta manifold gaskets over the card/paper type
Not had chance to fit them yet just wondered what people think ?

Perversely I ve started using the foil base gaskets from AF on my lambrettas over the traditional fibre/paper type ???
Toot-oasc
Main scooter: Lambretta

Hi Gary

In all my many years, and miles, of riding, I've never had a base gasket fail on a Vespa, and yet never used a base gasket on my TS1 (Loctite 574). I know plenty of fellow riders that have has base, and head, gaskets fail. (I run my Malossi 210 without base or head gaskets, only Loctite 574).

Is the cost of a genuine Piaggio gasket set worth the assurance that it quite probably brings?

I suppose the real question is whether the base gasket on a Vespa is required to ensure the relevant squish is achieved, or would a sufficient amount of Loctite 574 do an equivalent, and possibly better, sealing job? (I use both the genuine base gasket and 574 on any Vespa engine rebuilds I do).

Interested in the answers/thoughts from others?

Toot
hat
Main scooter: SX150/ Mugello 186

I'd be interested to know exactly what it is about them that you dont like? Base gasket failures aren't something you hear about very often. If your barrel isnt coming off its a fit & forget kind of component
gaz_powell

Hi all

Ive never had a head or base gasket fail on vespa or lambretta, it was more based on the quality of the vespa foil gasket that came in the set. It was a so called European made set set not genuine piaggio.
I always assemble with a sealant (wellseal).
The answer is probably the obvious one and buy genuine......
Toot-oasc
Main scooter: Lambretta

At least the two of us agree. ;)

(Obviously we must be the only one's left still repairing over trusty P2's.....!!! 8-) :lol: :lol: :lol:
gaz_powell

Ha ha........ Yeh just treat the p2 to a hone and rings , new plug/cap/lead, g/b oil and carb rebuild for the IOW, just needs putting back together and hence the discussion about gaskets. Gonna get a genuine gasket set up a try the fibre ones at a later date, now to find a genuine set

Genuine set sorted!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information