Engine over haul cost incl labour

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
simonwwfc

Guys I've now decided to stick with the 175 barrel and piston on my lammy instead of wasting loads on kit , crank , etc for as much as I use it odd day and only local riding . Now if I want to try and make this bullet proof what should I be looking at changing on a engine overhaul and cost wise . When I purchased it the scooter had just had new piston , rings , seals etc. prior to me buying it but needed running in . Now also who sells a decent 175 kit for back up
LI150
Main scooter: Series 2 LI150

Fairspares on here advertisers for rebuilds at a decent price
simonwwfc

Thanks I've set aside £600 to budget parts and labour cost just to replace any internal bits once the engine comes out would u think that's enough to if it doesn't need a new 175 kit and crank
10 inch Terror
Xbox live gamer tag: No.
Playstation gamer tag: PLEASE!
Main scooter: Lambretta LI Imola 185

What kit, pipe, carb, crank and clutch does the motor already have?
corrado
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

All the quality kits are 186 and above. I'd leave it alone if it's had a recent rebuild anyway, don't fix it if it isn't broke.
simonwwfc

Runs a 175 barrel and piston , 28mm dellorto , tsr Evo touring pipe ,
corrado
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

22mm carb and clubman would make it more bullet proof. Generally anything that makes it go faster will take away from it's reliability, not always the case but in general.
Lamaddict

Couldn't be much for an AF 175 kit, iron or the slightly more expensive alloy finned one.
I've got an AF 175 on with a 20mm Dellorto, SIL clubman and an extra tooth on the front cog. It's relatively fast on acceleration but the top end is only about 58mph GPS speed. A 22mm carb may help push the MPH very slightly. Still on points.
I'm thinking about a better kit for Milan next year but can't make my mind up.
On rebuilds recently on untouched engines, I've only changed the oil seals which keeps the price down. Same as using a good points set up for low revving engines, why waste money on an electronic kit.
10 inch Terror
Xbox live gamer tag: No.
Playstation gamer tag: PLEASE!
Main scooter: Lambretta LI Imola 185

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122017831407
This looks ok for the money. I used this seller myself and on the whole his stuff is pretty good. Fit this with your existing carb, crank and pipe and have the engine overhauled and you'd have some change. Should be a pretty peppy reliable motor.
shocky

My experience of those alloy kits is not good altho ive never used them myself :
Kit 1 had over 3 mm of piston showing above the lower part of the exhaust port and transfers that didnt match by a few mm
kit 2 leaked through the liner and had a loose inlet stud dispite being a "reworked" kit
this was supplied as a replacement for kit 1 went back for a full refund minus postage .... owner found a 150 barrel and had it bored to 175 self ported it and is happy
kit 3 wouldn't go over 55mph after running in even with a 30mm carb and pm 25 pipe or a 22mm and clubman again ports all over the place and over 2.5mm of squish again a reworked kit owner went back to a sx 150 standard barrell
22mm carb and scootopia clubman and was happy
both these were friends of mine and the kits came from 2 well known dealers in yorkshire
they came to me as a last resort , both kits had been well fitted exept for squish both owners didnt want the hassle or cost of porting or re profiling but I did get paid for stripping them etc , if like me you enjoy a challange within scope of what you have in front of you then go for it but they didnt want the hassle the time or money
its all about time v money and expectations both wish they had gone for a branded kit as the final bill wouldn't have been much diffent
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information