Flywheel balance

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Scooterdude
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 125 S3

Ok, so I got the shaking problem sorted with the BGM mounts. But there is still a slight vibration at tick over and at anything below about 10mph, I'm beginning to think the flywheel (an elemec I had off of Beedspeed) is maybe slightly out of balance and am thinking of having it checked/corrected at a local machine shop. Have any of you guys had issues with out of balance flywheels or are there specific makes that are known for poor balance, or others that are regarded as being better?
Maybe after all's said and done I'm barking up the wrong tree and the slight vibration at tick over I'm experiencing is acceptable and normal?
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

Was your crank balanced and trued?
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
Scooterdude

rosscla wrote:Was your crank balanced and trued?
ive no idea hope it was. Bought it from Beedspeed at the same time, £130 GP race crank.
Strummer10
Main scooter: Lambretta LI Special 225

Not sure if the same problem, but I had a similar vibration on my GP 200 when it was on tickover, a thumping through the frame on idling/tickover which completely disappeared when I open it up and through the gears ......turned out to be a knackered 'Mag side bearing ' which I don't believe had ever been 'greased up' by the shop that built the engine (forgotten I think) and a very slight up and down lift noticed on the crank
Scooterdude

Strummer10 wrote:Not sure if the same problem, but I had a similar vibration on my GP 200 when it was on tickover, a thumping through the frame on idling/tickover which completely disappeared when I open it up and through the gears ......turned out to be a knackered 'Mag side bearing ' which I don't believe had ever been 'greased up' by the shop that built the engine (forgotten I think) and a very slight up and down lift noticed on the crank
No I definitely greased that bearing up when I built the engine, I've been quoted £30 to have the flywheel balanced locally.....or should I just get a Rayspeed mid weigh one? Decisions decisions.
tarmac tickler

every new crank i fit i check for true,,,, 1 out of 5 are out,,, i s**t u not,,, if you spend money on a new flywheel without outing the crank and getting it checked would be foolish,,, elmec had a spell when they set the boss in the flywheel a rivet out ,,, have had swarf trapped under one side of the boss when they riveted it together, thus spinning on the p155,,, you gotta check everything man,, before you put owt together,,, no matter whos names stamped on it,,, built by monkeys
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

I'd be surprised if the Rayspeed one would be any better balanced right out of the box. Elemec are a reasonable brand. Probably made in the same place in India.

I don't see there being any harm in getting it balanced, though you probably could do it yourself with a bit of thought. You'd need to create a friction free level base and and axel which you could secure it to centrally. If it's not balanced the heavy side will tend to sink to the bottom, bit like balancing a wheel. Add weight to the high side till it doesn't settle, then remove that amount from the low side.

You could also check for any run out with a fixed pointer or dial gauge on the flywheel rim and or boss. This might point to any problems with crank alignment.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
Scooterdude

tarmac tickler wrote: you gotta check everything man,, before you put owt together,,, no matter whos names stamped on it,,, built by monkeys
yes the more I'm getting into it the more I'm seeing this, I've had to send loads of stuff back to "one supplier in perticular" as it was total shite.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information