A few days away in Wales

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
Shaunbond

After commenting on the LML v PX thread it looks like I haven't posted this on here. Hope you don't mind!

A mate and I where lucky enough to both get pass outs from the better half's last week so we took a trip to Wales on the scooters. Both took the 200 4T LMLs :D :D

Monday, Day1 - Preston to Bullith Wells
Not great scenery but stopped in a couple of nice small towns on the way down but it was really a day for just getting somewhere and is pi$$ed down early on in the day :x . Only 3 pubs in Bullith Wells non great but the last one we went in at least we managed to get burger and chips!!! Great B&B though...
Tuesday, Day2 - Bullith Wells to Porthmadog
Great roads started today, we set off and within a couple of miles some kind of bird of prey swooped down on the road picked up some small furry thing and few off, right in front of me :o :o . We met a guy on day one who suggested road from Rhaydar which we took and so glad we did it was excellent scenery :D and the road climbed over the mountains past reservoirs and wears but the weather closed in and rained for am hour or so... :(
We filled up on a main road we came too and found another back road on the map and took that one to a dam and again around a reservoir which was great as by now the weather was improving and it has stopped raining... :D
following the road we ended up traversing along the side of a valley for miles which some stunning views and nearer the end views of the sea above Aberystwyth.
Now a little bad news, when we reached the main road my scooter appeared to be lacking power, however on checking the rear brake had stuck on. Fortunately we stopped outside a car repair garage and was able to borrow a 24mm socket and bar to crack the hub off, it was well tight but it came off eventually and on investigation we couldn't see any reason why it should of happened so I backed off the adjuster and left it at that and didn't have any problems for the rest of the trip :D
We headed up to Barmouth on the 'main' roads through so stunning landscapes around Towyn, once there we had the obliquity ice-cream on the from whilst talking to a old guy about his Lambretta LD amongst other things. :D
Barmouth Bay
We then left for Porthmadog to find some accommodation and once we had locked the scoots up we set out for a drink, only a couple of pubs but one had excellent food so that was lucky, we ended up in the local Royal Legion playing pool with the locals and it turned out to be a great night :D :D :D
Lovely harbour - must have the photo for the girls back home :lol:
Wednesday Day3 - Porthmadog to Preston
We set off as usual on some small lanes but eventually ended up on one of the bigger roads through Snowdonia near the peak itself. Very imposing landscapes at times along with some excellent views once again...
After the drop down into Betws-y-Coed and a slight 5 mile trip in the wrong direction we eventually got on the right road to the coast at Abergely and with a short stop in Rhyl it was off on the coast road and thought the Birkenhead Tunnel home, oh yeah and not forgetting another ice cream in Southport. :D
Overall just short of 450 miles and approx 150 miles per day and other than the back brake problem and my electric start having a mind of its own with and only working intermittently the scooters both performed excellently. I kept a record of fuel and millage and whilst not exact both scooters used within 40pence of each other on every fill up and returned circa 100MPG :o over the 326 miles of Welsh riding.

A great few days away with a mate, sorry if this is boring but I would recommend this to anyone. Now just trying to arrange a 5 - 7 day jaunt around Scotland in June... :D :D :D
Serial scooter rider...
VMSC Committed to Scootering for 25 years
Donnie
Main scooter: Lambretta Eibar Series 2

Another great write up, looks like ye had a great time. :-)
Donnie.
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

Not at all Shaun. We should have more posts like that. Looks like a great ride and some stunning countryside.
Revvers
Main scooter: Lambretta special

Better scenery than my commute! Thanks lads.
storkfoot
Main scooter: '70 GP150 [TS1 225]

Thanks for posting. I really need to get out more in North Wales, some great roads and views, albeit some very over zealous traffic Police. I have no excuse for not getting out on these roads more as I only live a few miles away.

Thanks for reminding me it exists :-)
paul d
Main scooter: T5 172 Tv 240

Great post and perfect for getting rid of the january blues! 100mpg! Impressive economy.
cgt75b
Main scooter: lambretta

A great all round thread, I quite fancy doing the Welsh C2C this year if I can be released! Anyway back to your trip looks like a great adventure. Those top boxes are awesome!

Thanks for sharing and inspiring us all.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information