Powder as a base coat

Anything related to paint & bodywork issues on scooters....
GLscoot
Main scooter: Vespa GS150

Has anyone used powder coat as a base coat, before painting.
fairspares
Main scooter: Lambretta GP RB252

many times, often get lambys power coated then have the frame loop , legshields , panels , footboards etc sprayed over to match or contrasting colour.
It does depend on the condition of the body work if i have them power coated or just repaired and painted.
Fairspares Lambretta workshop.
GBCS
Main scooter: Lambretta GP RB250

What are you trying to achieve by powder coating it first ?
fairspares

powder coating first and then just spraying over the body parts seen is a good way of saving a lot of money if on a tight budget. The powder coaters i use charge approx £200 to do a full lambretta including blasting.
GBCS

I just can't see it.

That's £200 you don't need to spend if your on a tight budget.

To powder coat, the substrate has to be 100% clean, so ideally blast cleaned. At that point I would be hitting it with an acid etch primer, then a high build 2K primer.

£50 spent, instead of the £200.
fairspares

GBCS wrote:I just can't see it.

That's £200 you don't need to spend if your on a tight budget.

To powder coat, the substrate has to be 100% clean, so ideally blast cleaned. At that point I would be hitting it with an acid etch primer, then a high build 2K primer.

£50 spent, instead of the £200.
£200 inc blasting and usually on a restoration 75% of your parts are finished, if you have good panel work or you want a cheap job then that might be it total cost and turnaround at powder coaters 1 - 2 weeks.
How much time and money is it going to cost to take to a sprayer? even if you have taken it to be blasted ,it will cost a fortune if you want the sprayer to fully prep then paint a lambretta, most people dont have the facilitys to do this kind of work themselves.

heres a restoration i did a few months back , powder coated off white , legshields, frame loop , rear boards , horncasing, front mudguard and headset top sprayed over to match and panels sprayed blue total cost inc spraying was around £550.
Last edited by fairspares on Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GBCS

The question was about using powder coat as a base for paint, not an alternative.

You say it will cost a fortune if you get the sprayer to prep it, well then it's not a like for like comparison. if the part is damaged, dented etc and you powder coat it, then it will still look damaged and dented, it will just be a different colour. if the part is in good enough order for powder coating to be viable, then there would be no prep work by the painter either.

I know a bit about both powder coating, and spraying, and I don't powder coat anything before spraying it. I'm not saying don't do it, or that you shouldn't do it, I am just saying that I don't see the point.
fairspares

The question , has anyone used powder coat as a base coat , i thought i answered that question many times.
Answer, take a lambretta to a powder coaters they blast it , any parts that you dont like can then be flattened down , filled if nessasary and sprayed over .
A good powder coaters will blast there and then and then powder coat which as you know will fill most ripples , dimples , imperfections and give a fairly good finish at a fraction of the cost.

Question , can powder coat be used as a base coat ? answer, yes.

Warning be careful with horncasings and headset tops , the heat generated during sand blasting can cause them to distort out of shape.
GBCS

fairspares wrote: then powder coat which as you know will fill most ripples , dimples , imperfections and give a fairly good finish
No it won't !
fairspares

Question , can powder coat be use as a base coat ? Answer, no its f@@king s**t dont bother.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information