Starts but won't go

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
amc

Hi,

My scooter has been sat for a while in the garage (probably 8 months). In that time, its been started and idled almost weekly.

Last week I took it out, started first kick and all seemed well, but after around 1 mile, it died. Restarted no problem at all and idled fine, but as soon as I put it in gear and opened the throttle to pull off, it sounded really boggy and wouldn't pull at all.

I suspected a blocked jet or crap fuel, so have cleaned the carb, drained the tank (fuel flow was good) and tried again. Starts up nicely, idles nicely and when on the stand it'll rev well, but still the same problem. Pop it in gear, gets about 20 feet and then bogs down and cuts out. Once its done that, it'll start straight away and idle well, but then bogs with any revving, even in neutral. After a few mins rest it'll start and rev on the stand but not when I try and pull off.

So, I looked at the fuel pipe when I sit on it and no issue there.

Am totally stumped as when I put it in the garage 8 months ago, it was running brilliantly.

Any ideas where to look next?

Its a lambretta S2, Mugello 186, varitronic ignition, PHBH30 and Fresco pipe.
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

long shot- gummed up float valve??
Scootering since 1968.
amc

Thanks for the reply. I will have a look at that. I have to say it does feel fuel related but boggy as if it was flooding.

What is the best way to look at the float valve?
chris2470

I've see exactly this on a VaspaT5, it was a faulty stator pick up unit.
Best Regards

Chris
amc

chris2470 wrote:I've see exactly this on a VaspaT5, it was a faulty stator pick up unit.
Worth a look, thanks. Is there an idiots guide to checking that? A new one is about £100 so I'd like to test it first :D
chris2470

Best Regards

Chris
amc

Thanks Chris. Problem I've got is its a varitronic kit - as far as I know that means I need a new stator, so wanted to check that was definitely the cause before getting one. Uness i'm wrong, I didn't think the replacement coils could be used with that kit?

I cant grumble too much, the kit has been in the bike 9 years and about 30,000 miles with no problems to date.
coaster

Very similar problem with the LML engine in my son's PX. Newly assembled using many new parts including 5 port 150cc top end and new stator and flywheel. It would start 1st or 2nd kick and idle just fine but would die as soon as I got to 20 mph. I faffed about with jets and managed to get it up to about 40 but I ran like crap. Cleaned the carb, changed jets and it got worse and would hardly fire at all. Bought a new Spaco from ebay but no defference at all. Checked the plug for a spark at this point and it didn't have one. Tried another new plug in it and the problem went away completely, now runs as smooth as silk. Worth trying before pulling anything apart.
sunrisemac
Main scooter: Lambretta GP150

I second what coaster says.
If it's been run up a lot at idle there's a fair chance the plug has got oiled up, a good soak in clean petrol, dry it off and a warm it up with a blow lamp or hot air blower, let it cool and try it again to see if the plug is dead
amc

Will try that too! Thanks again for the advice all.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information