Disc brake conversion

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
corrado
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

I should have both versions back in stock in the next 7 days.

Got to agree with Minority, I changed mine to anti dive and it's transformed the handling under braking.

UPDATE ...... Some big boxes have arrived, hopefully the disc brake kits are in them, luvley jubbley
Last edited by corrado on Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
corrado
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Blenks wrote: What is the import duty cost for a £200 item, is it 20% on top? Thanks for any help.
Import due is about 6%. VAT is 20%. Customs works like this.

Goods + import duty + shipping costs = sub total + 20% on top. Yes 20% on top of the 6% and the shipping.
Say £160 for kit + £9.60 duty + £30 shipping = £199.60 + VAT of £39.92 = £239.52. Sometimes they'll get through customs without getting pulled for VAT + Duty but it's wise to build that into your costs.
shep
Main scooter: li125 ser3

I reverse pulled my drum brake ( I know it's frowned upon) and it's the bollox!

Even the MOT bloke commented on how good it felt.
YAMLAM

i done reverse pull on a drum brake many moons ago,went out for a test ride and nearly lost my front teeth on the head set it was that sharp ! drove back home and turned it back to normal route.Always had discs since then, got two DJ hydraulics and a anti-dive Scoorsrs, i guess its how you set the drums up.
win or lose have a booze
Blenks
Main scooter: Lambretta S3 Li150

Can somebody explain the difference between the ScootRS type outboard disc, pepperpot disc, and the inboard type (TV /SX set up). Is it possible to fit all of them to a standard Li. Which is the easiest option regarding fitting. I do not know anything about the pepprpot type???
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

They can all be had in versions that can be fitted to standard links.

The inboard one, original as fitted to the TV/SX/GP, has special links in the forks. You can buy new re manufactured versions that are designed to fit in standard links now though. You can also get various versions of the inboard disk converted to work with hydraulics.

Scoot RS ones are built on what looks like a late GP drum hub with a motorcycle disk and either a Nissin or pattern caliper mounted on the right side as you're sat on the bike, it looks fairly standard from the left side.

Pepperpot ones use a bespoke hub with holes about 3cm in diameter milled in. It also uses a similar disk and hydraulics to the ScootRS.

Bear in mind that if you want hydraulics then you'll either need to mount a master cylinder on your handle bars or use a partial cable type which you can hide under the horncast or foot boards.

Any of the aftermarket disk systems can have fitment issues from alignment to warped disks and hydraulic fluid is not good for your paint
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

See here for some pics / descriptions
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
hendy
Main scooter: lambretta li 125

B-Race Tuning wrote:I've been using a very well built/ set up drum brake on my TS, now RB powered GP for the last 4 years. most who test ride don't believe it's a drum until I tell them to go and physically look. On more than a few rides around Dartmoor those following comment how the rear end will leave the ground under VERY heavy braking. If grabbing a massive handful (trying to catch up a group on the twisties and rounding a corner to be faced with the back end of a Range Rover) it will lock the front end. [Then suspension spec comes into play]. Great fun to ride. unless doing off-road riding, a drum brake should be able to match a disc (on a Lambretta).
This was set up to prove there is no excuse/ reason to move over to a disc/ hydraulic set up. I accept that the labour time to get a drum brake set up really good takes time, and if not doing it yourself, costs. Those costs are not worthwhile if you can buy a ScootRS disc set up. (Or similar).
I will be fitting the (B-Race) hydraulic disc set up from my SX for my next years adventures, but more from a fashion point of view rather than braking effort. That and I want the drum set up elsewhere, destined for my Series one frame gulper.
I've just finished my first lambretta build. Took it for an mot (which it passed).

On the ride to and from the mot I passed through the city centre and to be honest I was sh***ing myself.

I've completely rebuilt the drum with all new or plated components. It's an li125 series 3.

The front brake feels almost like there is NOTHING there. I really want to keep my drum set up but it's too scary the way it is.

Is there any chance of giving a guide on how to set one up properly please?
lambro

shep wrote:I reverse pulled my drum brake ( I know it's frowned upon) and it's the bollox!

Even the MOT bloke commented on how good it felt.
I have a reverse pull on my Serveta, I love it.
And yes, as said elsewhere, it will stop on a sixpence if pulled hard, but once used to it, its great.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information