Ducati CDI's [ Blue ones] on tuned motors

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Pepot
Main scooter: servetta LI150 serieIII GT186

I bought a Khepper CDI. It's a bit more expensive but very relyable. And you can design your ignition curve!
Yanker

B-Race Tuning wrote:I was talking with an Indian supplier who happened to mention that ALL the Ducati CDI's are currently coming out of the same factory as 'all' the Indian ones, and the same/ or associate, factory supply All the LML ones. How true I don't know. With the current failure rate of "Ducati" CDI's, I really do not think they are worth the extra, and would go with Scootopia's remade at a rediculous low price but seem to be holding up, AND they're not giving double/ triple pulse readings on a strobe/ dyno. Credit where credit is due, they are really good and you can put three spares in the toolbox for the price of a single "DUCATI" one. As Ducati haven't made them for years, how come there's no shortage worldwide??
Probably right on the nail there Simon. The cast is slightly different, the 'Ducati Electronica insignia looks a home made additipon. I've seen (but not touchrd you must understand) crates of 50 packed in Ducati Electronica replica boxes all bearing the same individual production (not batch!) number.....
speedy
Main scooter: lambretta af s type ts1

B-Race Tuning wrote:I was talking with an Indian supplier who happened to mention that ALL the Ducati CDI's are currently coming out of the same factory as 'all' the Indian ones, and the same/ or associate, factory supply All the LML ones. How true I don't know. With the current failure rate of "Ducati" CDI's, I really do not think they are worth the extra, and would go with Scootopia's remade at a rediculous low price but seem to be holding up, AND they're not giving double/ triple pulse readings on a strobe/ dyno. Credit where credit is due, they are really good and you can put three spares in the toolbox for the price of a single "DUCATI" one. As Ducati haven't made them for years, how come there's no shortage worldwide??
Very interesting and serious food for thought. That does seem to throw some sense onto what I have been told. Quite annoying though when you think you are buying an Italian component, a named '''Quality'', component, but it's actually made in an Indian production area,yet sold for far more. As for Scootopia, then i'll look at theirs then. If they are anything like the quality of some of the stuff I've seen coming from them, it'll be pretty decent.cheers,Speedy.
B-Race Tuning
Main scooter: Lambro, GP.

speedy wrote:
Very interesting and serious food for thought. That does seem to throw some sense onto what I have been told. Quite annoying though when you think you are buying an Italian component, a named '''Quality'', component, but it's actually made in an Indian production area,yet sold for far more. As for Scootopia, then i'll look at theirs then. If they are anything like the quality of some of the stuff I've seen coming from them, it'll be pretty decent.cheers,Speedy.
Happens the world over, and WE encourage it, 'cos everyone wants it cheaper. If we were happy paying for the original Ducati ones that were reliable, there would have been no market for the cheap tat version that is now prevalent, and Ducati would still be producing in house, and Vespa/ LML would opt to use them. Of the Scootopia ones I've tested, and sold out I've had NO PROBLEMS, nor the random timing spikes. Time will tell, but good so far.
As for "...'think' you are buying an Italian component.....", how many 'British'/ 'German'/ French' (etc etc) components are made in the far east but assembled/ packaged in the 'origin' country. Surely as consumers we are not that niave? BGM stator anyone? Germany's finest? Yeah, right.
B-Race Tuning
Main scooter: Lambro, GP.

Pepot wrote:I bought a Khepper CDI. It's a bit more expensive but very relyable. And you can design your ignition curve!
"Very Reliable" is it 'hasn't failed for ten years constant use'. It hasn't been out long enough to quantify that statement.
In relation to other CDI's, as it's programmable, I wouldn't say it's expensive at all. And on that basis, who manufactures it?, and to what price bracket? as opposed to what quality/ reliability bracket? If built to the top end of the latter criteria then it's too cheap, so grab a bargain now, or.....not?
And if done genuinely, then fair shout and big respect, but there is no profit in it (been there), so grab a bargain now, or......
ipman

B-Race Tuning wrote:"Very Reliable" is it 'hasn't failed for ten years constant use'. It hasn't been out long enough to quantify that statement.
nothing to do with how long the products been out,all to do with how much you ride

best off asking vespa owners for reviews on new gear :D
speedy
Main scooter: lambretta af s type ts1

B-Race Tuning wrote:
speedy wrote:
Happens the world over, and WE encourage it, 'cos everyone wants it cheaper. If we were happy paying for the original Ducati ones that were reliable, there would have been no market for the cheap tat version that is now prevalent, and Ducati would still be producing in house, and Vespa/ LML would opt to use them. Of the Scootopia ones I've tested, and sold out I've had NO PROBLEMS, nor the random timing spikes. Time will tell, but good so far.
As for "...'think' you are buying an Italian component.....", how many 'British'/ 'German'/ French' (etc etc) components are made in the far east but assembled/ packaged in the 'origin' country. Surely as consumers we are not that niave? BGM stator anyone? Germany's finest? Yeah, right.
ER the naieve bit, no In fairness I'm/we're not to be honest. You buy a genuine SIL item and it should be genuine SIL. You buy a TS1 kit and it is made by Gilardoni. We know BGM stators aren't made in Germany. What threw me was that the AF Ducati Electronic system ceased production because they couldn't be bothered making small quantities of equipment, ie, stuff for us scooter folk. Pretty much the same reason Gilardoni stopped making TS1 kits for AF Rayspeed. I just thought that the Ducati cdi that is used on various Italian two stroke vehicles,was genuine and not far eastern, because if I had thought that, I'd of bought a cheap mitsubi or any other one for a tenner and a tin of beans. Cheers,Speedy :)
gaz_powell

its all very interesting.

I have all ducati on my bikes but the spares I carry are indian origin (of which I have 2) but have both been tested on running bikes. the only ducati failure I have was on a p2 (which was years old - the black ones - when we referred to them as the black box !

I cant see that you`ll go wrong with a ducati brand - probably no more so then any other brand - the nature of the product been electrical sealed unit means failures will happen without warning - could be in month one or month........

I think we all know the likely hood is in this day that they are all made in a few (if not one) factories in the far east.

slight digress but I recently bought a Gerber multi purpose tool - origin American military (?) .......made in china ! (Vietnam would have been more ironic !)

Of note I have just bought a Genuine ducati (boxed) from a very reliable source for £17.00

I think the main thing is to carry a spare ...... yet years ago riding a P2 all over the country and Europe I would never of dreamed of carrying one

off to bike ready for C2C ......Gaz
firekdp

speedy wrote: I just thought that the Ducati cdi that is used on various Italian two stroke vehicles,was genuine and not far eastern, because if I had thought that, I'd of bought a cheap mitsubi or any other one for a tenner and a tin of beans. Cheers,Speedy :)
Technically, even if made in India it is still a genuine Ducati.
In the 80's Ducati Elettrotecnica became Ducati Energia and manufactured in India, Spain and South America. Anything new marked as Elettrotecnica is IMO fake. If your paying for an Italian cdi make sure it has "made in Italy" on it.
PS.I've seen lots of Ducati Energia regs advertised by top dealers, with the country of manufacture clearly milled off. They know once people see Ducati they automatically think it's Italian and pay more.
shocky

firekdp wrote:
speedy wrote: I just thought that the Ducati cdi that is used on various Italian two stroke vehicles,was genuine and not far eastern, because if I had thought that, I'd of bought a cheap mitsubi or any other one for a tenner and a tin of beans. Cheers,Speedy :)
Technically, even if made in India it is still a genuine Ducati.
In the 80's Ducati Elettrotecnica became Ducati Energia and manufactured in India, Spain and South America. Anything new marked as Elettrotecnica is IMO fake. If your paying for an Italian cdi make sure it has "made in Italy" on it.
PS.I've seen lots of Ducati Energia regs advertised by top dealers, with the country of manufacture clearly milled off. They know once people see Ducati they automatically think it's Italian and pay more.
Ive seen regulators with embosing milled of not acdi unit interesting
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information