mugello 225 gearing

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Jxmiddle
Main scooter: GP250 69 targa twin

Running a muggy 225 with a phbs 30, a Gori exhaust and a cyclone 5 speed. Highly recommend this set up, pulls well up hill in fourth and sometimes even fifth (the cyclone has been amazing imho). Honest top speed around 70-72.

I've been tempted for more speed and tried a franspeed supertourer and a BGM clubman. The franspeed transformed it and turned it into a monster, the clubman slightly more controllable - didn't enjoy the sound much - but I went back to the gori. Not as fast but just nicer to ride. If I was doing a lot of touring I might think about longer gearing but for general riding this is a lot of fun.
Noplastic
Main scooter: Vespa PX221 disc

Hi i have same specs Muggy 225 v4, Gp200 indian gearbox, 47/18, JL3, Phbh 30, Casatronic/parmakit latest version variable ignition with 2kg flywheel. Pulls really well and there's no jump between 3rd and 4rth whatsoever. Eats up the whole fourth in one bite! It may even be a little short for touring but i like this way. I run it with a full circle crank 58x110 and like someone else, i also had to adjust the timings to line up the piston with the exhaust port at bdc with a packing plate.
Noplastic

Jxmiddle wrote:Running a muggy 225 with a phbs 30, a Gori exhaust and a cyclone 5 speed. Highly recommend this set up, pulls well up hill in fourth and sometimes even fifth (the cyclone has been amazing imho). Honest top speed around 70-72.

The franspeed transformed it and turned it into a monster

Hi, could you tell more about the supertourer with the Mugello 225? I run it with JL3 , just changed the ratio from 5.22 to 4.95 (19/47), was wondering if the supertourer makes more power up the rev range without losing low end power and if suits my Mugello port timing (175°/125°)

Thanx
Jxmiddle

Noplastic wrote:
Jxmiddle wrote:Running a muggy 225 with a phbs 30, a Gori exhaust and a cyclone 5 speed. Highly recommend this set up, pulls well up hill in fourth and sometimes even fifth (the cyclone has been amazing imho). Honest top speed around 70-72.

The franspeed transformed it and turned it into a monster

Hi, could you tell more about the supertourer with the Mugello 225? I run it with JL3 , just changed the ratio from 5.22 to 4.95 (19/47), was wondering if the supertourer makes more power up the rev range without losing low end power and if suits my Mugello port timing (175°/125°)

Thanx
I didn't keep the supertourer on for that long - tbh I took it for one long run and it was incredibly quick - my gps clocked me at 85mph when my previous higher pest speed using the same method was 72mph (neither of which I think are accurate btw) - and there was so much vibration the crankcase stud holding the exhaust (which I confess was slightly dodgy) disappeared completely never to be seen again. At that point I took the opportunity to strip down the engine to get some overdue welding done on the crankcase. What I didn't enjoy was the way the power was delivered, a fairly narrow power band fairly high up but that could be because my original set up had a lot of torque reasonably even spread which makes it a joy to ride with a five speed. The top speed came I think from the over revving the exhaust allowed, it just kept going. My supertourer has a down pipe for an Avanti (I got it for a different engine) and my SX looks traditional so I didn't want the "expansion look" for it. If I was after out and out performance with a racing look I might of well kept it on. It's a personal thing.

Btw I'm running 46 x 19 which I think gives 4.72 final drive with the cyclone.
Noplastic

Thanks for the very exhaustive reply.
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

It amazes me how personal the exhaust experience is and what some people think of as revvy, whilst others see the same pipe quite differently. I too was a little shocked by how much bottom end I lost by fitting a Supertourer, as per the comment above, and it was obvious how the powerband was narrow compared to the other pipes I'd run on my Avanti, and at much higher revs. By fitting an Agusto unit I managed to reclaim the bottom end and keep the higher power mid-top with over-rev. As such, I totally agree with the comments about the Supertourer that Jxmiddle makes... but note that others regularly make comment about how much bottom end their bike makes with a Supertourer.

I guess this is a matter of opinion and illustrates how rider's riding style and preferred power delivery really colours opinion of the same product. IMO the Supertourer is a great product, if you are happy to use an advance/retard ignition and enjoy riding at the extended over-rev that it allows... but I think the name catches a few people out as they expect a pipe that will allow relaxed low rev cruising, which IMO it isn't the best option for.

Adam
Noplastic

Adam_Winstone wrote:It amazes me how personal the exhaust experience is and what some people think of as revvy, whilst others see the same pipe quite differently. I too was a little shocked by how much bottom end I lost by fitting a Supertourer, as per the comment above, and it was obvious how the powerband was narrow compared to the other pipes I'd run on my Avanti, and at much higher revs. By fitting an Agusto unit I managed to reclaim the bottom end and keep the higher power mid-top with over-rev. As such, I totally agree with the comments about the Supertourer that Jxmiddle makes... but note that others regularly make comment about how much bottom end their bike makes with a Supertourer.

I guess this is a matter of opinion and illustrates how rider's riding style and preferred power delivery really colours opinion of the same product. IMO the Supertourer is a great product, if you are happy to use an advance/retard ignition and enjoy riding at the extended over-rev that it allows... but I think the name catches a few people out as they expect a pipe that will allow relaxed low rev cruising, which IMO it isn't the best option for.

Adam
Thanks for sharing your opinion, you won't believe it but that's exactly what i thought: since my port timing is certainly good torquewise and my gearing is not the tallest, and i run the Casa variable ignition (23°-15°) maybe a very powerful pipe with loads of over rev like the supertourer could make the picture complete: torque, power, revs + a wide powerband? But on the other end this comments about the narrower power band and bottom end loss are a bit confusing... :? Letting alone the more vibrations mentioned by jxmiddle. :shock:

Here's the description made by scooter center: "The JL Supertourer pipe makes more low down power and mid range torque than the JL 3. It also hangs on to the revs longer, making it one of the most powerful touring exhaust to date". :roll: :roll:

Probably a dyno graph JL3 vs Supertourer of a piston ported engine could tell us more..
Jxmiddle

Despite my comments I do intend to fit the supertourer to the Avanti CI engine Ron Moss is building for me. Discussed it with Ron and we'll see how it works.

Cheers

John
B-Race Tuning
Main scooter: Lambro, GP.

Any single design of exhaust will behave differently on every different type of kit, and differently on a single kit version once breathed on (ported, especially exhaust port area) or a different version or even a bad day/ hangover for the bloke who does the final finishing after casting prior to plating, throw in different static timing 19 thru 15 and then take a single finished scooter, put an 8stone rider on compared to two up 15 stoners with tent (remember those ;-), and kit and that same scooter will be revvy OR torquey. That's why we try to know port timings etc prior to making an exhaust for someone.
Simon
Noplastic

ok then i'll stick with the JL3 and save some money (for now... :lol: ). If in the whole internet there are no mugello 225/supertourer combos, (not a dyno, not a feedback, nothing, at least that i could find) there must be a reason.. ;) They've both been on the market for a while.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information