advice needed please

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
fibreglass
Dealer
Main scooter: gp

Hi I sold a frame with good clear numbers but no paperwork which I've had about four years to a fella, he phoned me just now saying he's put the frame numbers into dvla website and its saying that the scooter is on the road and was taxed last week? Very strange as the frames been sat in my shed for four years! He said he is going to apply for the log book and see what happens? Where do I stand if there is a scooter running about with these ( supposed ) numbers the same as those on the frame I sold? Have said to the fella I will give he's money back if it turns out he can't put the frame on the road, any knowledgeable people have any advice? Cheers tony
RobD

Don't think that you can check frame numbers on DVLA site, only reg numbers. You can do HPI on a frame number but often only the numbers are on the V5 for original UK bikes not the frame prefix and so there my be duplicates about. He'll just have to register with prefix. If by some previous naughty business there is a bike with the same prefix and frame number knocking about then it's a ringer and it's the other blokes problem not your mans.
fibreglass
Dealer
Main scooter: gp

OK thanks I thought the same you couldn't check on dvla with frame number but he said he can as he's in the trade? If there is another scooter that's taken the numbers then someones got some explaining to do! Was a good straight Italian frame with good clear numbers
RobD

I've had a couple of vegas and a S2 that only had six digit numbers and just said lambretta on the v5 and no model. Probably isn't that rare to have duplicate numbers
RobD

You can do a HPI on just make and frame number and that would return a reg number if there's a match. You could then put reg number in DVLA site to find out tax / mot status. I did the same on a fire damaged insurance write off I bought to find out reg number as plate had melted.
gavi4t
Main scooter: lambretta gp450

if theres two frames going round with the same vin /chassis number on the dvla will send a team to investigate and find the real one out of the two.the imposter will be crushed
joeswoonara
Main scooter: jet ts1

happened to a mate of mine with a Indian GP he won in a raffle, Police officer came round to check the frame number , who asked him if if he had stamped the numbers on himself , once convinced that the Indians had duplicated the frame numbers , pulled out a set of punches and stamped a " X" to differentiate between the 2
never squat down when wearing spurs !!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information