Koso sensor location.

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
kevspeed

I recently bought one of these (see my 'What battery' post)
Anyway,im having difficulty in deciding the location for the magnet pick up sensor location.
If i was using an outboard disc brake set up it would be an easy choice,as the small magnets fit into the countersunk allen screw heads of the disc locating screws,and the sensor will bolt onto the caliper,no problem!
Unfortunately,im using an original inboard disc brake set up,so i have a bit of a dilemma on my hands!
My original plan was to use 8 of the long cylinder nuts to hold the front rims together,and to hold the rims to the hub,then Loctite a domed Allen screw into the end of each one to hold the small magnets in place!
This would have given me 8 'pick up' points,causing less of a gap between 'signals' and a more accurate reading.
However,as the sensor will need to be in line with the magnets permanently,it looks as though i will need to attatch it to a 'moving' part of the suspension,as the up and down movement of the wheel while travelling will put it out of line and give me inaccurate readings.
Any ideas on how to overcome this problem?
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

Done mine like this. already had a hole where a scoop had been fitted previous though -

"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
kevspeed

I did think about doing it that way,but how/where have you attatched your magnets?
Minority
Main scooter: Li230 S3

kevspeed wrote:I did think about doing it that way,but how/where have you attatched your magnets?
If it's the "active" Koso sensor (as supplied by SIP to go with their Koso manufactured lambretta speedo and the one shown in rosscla's pic I believe), you don't need a magnet. It will sense the bolt head passing the sensor and if you have power to the speedo (with your new battery maybe ;) ) you can check this as there is a blue light in the end of the sensor that goes on and off as it passes the bolt (or magnet).

In this pic I'm picking up the back of the rear wheel studs.
kevspeed

Looks good that 8-) ,unfortunately mine needs the magnets :( ,so,anybody else got any suggestions?
carlos fandango

kevspeed wrote:Looks good that 8-) ,unfortunately mine needs the magnets :( ,so,anybody else got any suggestions?
Fit the sensor like rosscla and place the magnets on the wheel studs, put a dab of loctite on first ,this will stop them moving .
When i was young my Mom said "if you haven't got anything nice to say, say nothing at all " ..................... and people wonder why I'm quiet around them !
kevspeed

carlos fandango wrote:
kevspeed wrote:Looks good that 8-) ,unfortunately mine needs the magnets :( ,so,anybody else got any suggestions?
Fit the sensor like rosscla and place the magnets on the wheel studs, put a dab of loctite on first ,this will stop them moving .
You think that will be strong enough? :shock:
carlos fandango

yep
When i was young my Mom said "if you haven't got anything nice to say, say nothing at all " ..................... and people wonder why I'm quiet around them !
newmanlammy
Dealer
Main scooter: Animal worldwide freeride

ive got same speedo on an outboard disk with magnets superglued onto the edge of the rime and the bracket on the form leg but its going to have to be changed this spring as the suspension movement affects the accuracy, best bet I think is on back wheel , either sensor could be used just one needs magnets the other not.
carlos fandango

The rear wheel is good......but it wont be accurate...well at least not for long.

The speedos are set on the tyre circumference , the rear wears down a lot quicker than the front, and the speedo will gradually read fast faster than you are actually going.

Heres how i did mine but on a PM disk, if you look carefully i have the magnets just behind the disk bolts.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information