adding battery.. no tray, no tool box..?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
joey

seasons greetings..
building my Targa Twin.. no tool box.. no battery tray.. i'm going to fit under panel tool box for oil n tools.. there's quite a bit of electrical kit to fit in.. obviously uses varitronic.. i'm adding an ignition mapper with extra regulater,mod charger,sip speedo and there is the regulater for ignition n coil.. so this is limiting space on the near side under panel.. so idealy i'd like to fit a small battery under the off side rear behind the shock...?
any ideas on a suitable battery and fixing..I'm going to run l.e.d. rear bulb and 35w h/light..

cheers
Grumpy225
Main scooter: Gori200, rt195, ld150,rb20

Like this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lambretta-Oil ... 418cf82c90

Don't know the seller just thought it would answer your storage problem.
joey

..yes thats what i'm getting...but i need some sort of battery and carrier to go on the other side...? any ideas..?
joeswoonara
Main scooter: jet ts1

i use a 7ah dry cell battery ,in an under panel box ,it`s an alarm battery , being dry cell you can put it in any any orientation , but can could use smaller i also took the chance to wire a relay for the horn , now scares the s++t out of dopey motorists :D
never squat down when wearing spurs !!
shocky

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Xcell-Battery ... 1509574505
how about this type of thing massive range of sizes and outputs
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
ArmandTanzarian

I've fitted a decent sized battery in one of those under panel tool boxes that fit by the back wheel. Even leaves room for a few tools or a litre of oil.
Meus Lambretta est non infractus. Is est quietus.
Knowledge
Dealer
Main scooter: GP

I've done the same a joeswoonara; 7Ah sealed battery from a burglar alarm. Visit the webpage for Yuasa batteries for a tech sheet showing all the the sizes of all their sealed batteries. Very useful.

Remember, you don't need big electrical terminals like the old lead acid batteries. You're going to be drawing only small amounts of current at any given time, not starting the scooter with an electric starter (if I'm wrong, and you have fitted electric start to your TT, I want to see it) :D
Martin
Donnie
Main scooter: Lambretta Eibar Series 2

If using varitronic and battery remember that the battery is only ever getting a trickle charge. I had similar up to about a year ago using a standard vespa battery.

While some of the already mentioned batteries may do what you want the linked ones are 7Ah and 4.5Ah only, standard Vespa PX battery is 9!

So it all comes back to how you will use the battery draw.

ie if you are planning on using it for a dc headlight your going to need more Ah for time used.

Some googling suggests that a 35w headlight uses about 3Ah, so a 4.5Ah battery will be pretty much drained after an hour of use, thats not including intermittent draw to other systems you may wire to it ie speedo / rear led / horn

As I say to give you a real world perspective ( mine) I had a varitronic and vespa 9Ah battery, this was wired up for horn, rear led and a seperate switch for a spotlight for intermittent use on dark winter nights (35watts)

As good an upgrade as it was I did a few tests with it running continuously and basically after approximately 45 - 50 minutes it was dim enough to be useless for my purposes, ie looked like a side light, but no good for seeing in the dark with if you get what I mean? Additionally, with this amount of draw the horn was p155 poor too and after 50 minutes or so even the rear led was barely lighting :-(

I only mention this as you seem to imply you want to run your headlight off the battery? There's no way I could have gotten away with that.

I'd be interested if anyone else has managed to do any testing of batteries where they are running the headlight off the battery only and how long this effectively lasts?

PS, I now run a wassell 12v dc setup with the vespa battery which happily copes with the headlight as well as the spotlight.
Donnie.
Donnie
Main scooter: Lambretta Eibar Series 2

PPS Joey, do you have a standard tank and toolbox with a space in between? That's where I have my battery.
Donnie.
Burnside
Main scooter: Lambretta TV200

I've got a burglar alarm battery fitted on my S2, it sits between the rear mudguard and frame loop
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information