Cast iron VS Aluminium cylinder

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
byron
Main scooter: Li Special; scarred,but sound

El__burro wrote:...is the aluminium one that bad for £75?
I am not sure if it's a Nikasill plated.
unlikely, it may well be a steel lined one that could need some port tidying to work. see some photos at least before parting with your money
El__burro

Too late
I've agreed to buy it,
I'll take some pics as soon as I'll receive it.
Would you be able to tell?
Otherwise I'll send it back

Thanks
El__burro
El__burro

As promised, I've received the barrel today and here are some pictures, please lat me know if it is ok?

I see many grinded part and also some gaps....

Thanks
El__burro
Attachments
Out.jpg
AluBarrel.jpg
alubar.jpg
CT.

Give it to Harry Barlow to wave his die grinder over and turn that cow's ear into a silk purse.

I gave him my a rough SR190 cylinder (very similar to the above) and was very pleased with the quality of workmanship, end result and was charged a very reasonable amount too.
J1MS

CT. wrote:Give it to Harry Barlow to wave his die grinder over and turn that cow's ear into a silk purse.

I gave him my a rough SR190 cylinder (very similar to the above) and was very pleased with the quality of workmanship, end result and was charged a very reasonable amount too.
He does tidy these barrels up nicely.... 8-)
CT.

Well I'm very happy. I gave him the cylinder and a tracing of the (opened up) crank case gasket face gasket area and what I got back really was very tidy, the work to the transfers in the cylinder being most apparent.

It's fitted to my SX150 with a clubman, PHBH 28, suzuki piston, mec long rod crank and is very smooth and torquey.
druist

hope this doesnt look like a thread hyjack as i thought this might add to the title but also answer a question i have on the same theme

does anyone have or know about the GT english made iron barrel kit with reed valve? if so, how would you rate over the other options mentioned and 175 - 190 kits about?

http://www.lcgb.co.uk/workshop/bolton.html
coaster

druist wrote:hope this doesnt look like a thread hyjack as i thought this might add to the title but also answer a question i have on the same theme

does anyone have or know about the GT english made iron barrel kit with reed valve? if so, how would you rate over the other options mentioned and 175 - 190 kits about?

That's the GT186 and I seem to remember reading that he isn't making any more when his stock is used up. Generally reconed to be a good kit if you don't mind the carb being on the wrong side.
soulsurfer

coaster wrote:
druist wrote:hope this doesnt look like a thread hyjack as i thought this might add to the title but also answer a question i have on the same theme

That's the GT186 and I seem to remember reading that he isn't making any more when his stock is used up. Generally reconed to be a good kit if you don't mind the carb being on the wrong side.
The carb is on the correct side when using a 25mm Delly/Mikuni 24 and on the other side with a 30mm. It's a well engineered touring spec kit with excellent low down grunt. It's possibly one of the few kits that hasn't gained a bad rep for poor or inconsistent quality, infact I've always heard good press on the quality. It's a shame there won't be any more after this final batch is sold. Also you can ask the creator any questions and he'll always give advice, he comes on here as Rich T.
Turn On, Tune In, Cop out!
druist

Colin, pity, looked good on spec with the reed valve, have read they make a big difference - anyone got a reed valve?

if you had a 175 iron some tuning done would it be worth going upto 190cc or wouldnt the gain be that much. Some seem to say 10 - 15mph extra which seems a fair bit. Are any of the low end kits worthwhile if tuned well or is an imola, rapido, mugello type kit needed?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information