Stripped thread

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Nerdy Norm
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 150 S3

One of the two screws which secures the light switch/brake lever housing to the headset has stripped the thread on my LI Series 3.

What's the best solution for the hole? Helicoil or tap it bigger?

Thanks fellas :)
Lambretta LI125 Series 2, Lambretta LI150 Series 3, Lambretta J100 Cento, LML Star 150 2T
10 inch Terror
Xbox live gamer tag: No.
Playstation gamer tag: PLEASE!
Main scooter: Lambretta LI Imola 185

Helicoil it mate.
netweasel

M6 Time-Sert. The kit isn't cheap, but you can also use the M6 for stripped case studs. I use it on all M6 case studs that have an exhaust mount attached to it. Unlike Helicoil, Time-Serts have a collar that prevents the insert from going in too far. Time-Serts are professional aircraft quality, and used in the aerospace industry.

M6 kit on eBay-UK http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm//271469777010

I have repaired the perch holes before with Time-Serts. The standard depth M6x12 ones work fine here, there is plenty of meat for the insert to grab on to in the headset, but they extend about 1-2mm into the headset tunnel. If you want the exact depth you can get the M6x9.4 inserts.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291053916898
Nerdy Norm
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 150 S3

Thanks guys. I've already got a helicoil kit so I'll give it a go. If it doesn't hold, I'll invest in the Timesert one.
Lambretta LI125 Series 2, Lambretta LI150 Series 3, Lambretta J100 Cento, LML Star 150 2T
hendy
Main scooter: lambretta li 125

netweasel wrote: Time-Serts are professional aircraft quality, and used in the aerospace industry.
are you on commission? I've used jubilee clips to bodge an encoder together once, so one could equally say "jubilee clips are professional offshore construction industry quality and used in the marine industry". I'm not saying they aren't better than helicoils, just wondering if you're a salesman. :D
netweasel

hendy wrote: are you on commission? I've used jubilee clips to bodge an encoder together once, so one could equally say "jubilee clips are professional offshore construction industry quality and used in the marine industry". I'm not saying they aren't better than helicoils, just wondering if you're a salesman. :D
Hahahaha! No, I just believe in using the proper tool for the job. The proper tool is one that will last. I have never had a Time-Sert fail on me. Once you use them, you will never go back to using helicoils or generic thread inserts.
sean brady scooters
Dealer

netweasel wrote:
hendy wrote: are you on commission? I've used jubilee clips to bodge an encoder together once, so one could equally say "jubilee clips are professional offshore construction industry quality and used in the marine industry". I'm not saying they aren't better than helicoils, just wondering if you're a salesman. :D
Hahahaha! No, I just believe in using the proper tool for the job. The proper tool is one that will last. I have never had a Time-Sert fail on me. Once you use them, you will never go back to using helicoils or generic thread inserts.
i agree :)
Sean Brady Scooters - 01765 690 698
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information