Lambretta mag housing nightmare, all help appreciated !

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Egger
Main scooter: Lambretta Li150 special

Just bought an Li125 special to restore and when trying to remove the mag housing by winding in some bolts the threads gave way so I had to resort to heating around the outside and tapping it from behind.... thats when it all went wrong ! The whole outside of the housing came off leaving the bit that fits into the casing still jammed in and flush with the casing. I wasnt even hitting it hard and was using a rubber mallet and some wood positioned on the thickest parts I could see.

Any help much appreciated

Thanks in advance
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

ouch!

if you are willing to sacrifice the crank, then you may get some movement by taping the crank and the remaining piece out from the drive side.
Scootering since 1968.
barnsleybilly
Main scooter: Li200

I'I'd agree with bristolmod, I can't see how you can get it out without damaging the crank.

The only thing I could add is use loads of heat on the outside of the casing whilst tapping the cranks drive side.

Good luck!
Muppet
Main scooter: SX 150 running in

push the rod back so it dont catch wh n you hit y crank
C’est la vie
wack 63
Main scooter: '71 GP TS1

I had the same on an old Indian motor, tried everything to shift the mag. In the end I drilled/ Dremelled a section of the mag spigot out which gave some free play to finally knock it out with the crank.
Egger
Main scooter: Lambretta Li150 special

Thanks for the advice guys, it looks like it will be a pig to get out, I will update this thread to let you know how I got on.
coaster

Same happened to me with my special and as suggested above, I knocked out with the crank. If you put a bolt in the end of the crank then you may not damage the crank in the process. I was going to use a GP crank so wasn't bothered.
Fruitjuice

Saw down a piece of hard wood (not IKEA-'planking') so it fits snug between the crank halves and put a bolt in the driveside of the crank threads.
Boil a couple of liters of water and pour over the crank housing and immediatly beat the driveside crank end. You may be able to get it moving like this...
Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, loudly proclaiming: "WOW, WHAT A RIDE"
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

Now you knackered the mag housing you could try plug tap the original holes bigger size like m8, a lot of heat ...nothing to loose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
netweasel

What would I do? I would tap a few new M6 holes, or use M6 Time-Sert inserts in the old stripped holes, then use this tool to remove the mag flange:
http://jet200.com/catalog/product_info. ... ts_id=1572

Heating the actual case around where the mag-flange fits would also be helpful.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information