Welded or heli coil?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
AUSSIE

Rolls Royce diesel division helicoil every thread in aluminium.
I think the most important thing is to use correct torque, m6 bolt or nut only torqued to 10nm.
Jxmiddle
Main scooter: GP250 69 targa twin

I've used timeserts and heli-coils. Timeserts are definitely stronger. But why drill out perfectly good threads? If they go then do them.

It is easy to bugger up a heli-coil by not paying attention in your drilling so be careful.
shocky

AUSSIE wrote:Rolls Royce diesel division helicoil every thread in aluminium.
I think the most important thing is to use correct torque, m6 bolt or nut only torqued to 10nm.
Im pretty certain they design the engines to take time certs when I worked for general dynamics as a vehical installation tec we used alot ot timecerts on the armoured vehicles and there was plenty of area around the boss or lug to accept them
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
AUSSIE

shocky wrote:
AUSSIE wrote:Rolls Royce diesel division helicoil every thread in aluminium.
Im pretty certain they design the engines to take time certs when I worked for general dynamics as a vehical installation tec we used alot ot timecerts on the armoured vehicles and there was plenty of area around the boss or lug to accept them
Shocky you are correct, the whole product lines are designed to be able to be remanufactured several times over. In aluminium it's helicoil then timesert then drilled out and plugged. In steel it's standard threat, helicoil, timesert, keensert then drill and plug
Sadly factory is no longer Rollss Royce diesels but Caterpillar Remanufacture but still rebuilding challenger, warrior and rail engines
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information