Rear Brake Light Blowing

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Lamaddict

The scoots an original DL125 on the original points ignition, 6V set up (points are the new electronic ;) ). The lights are fantastic but almost too bright which is good but it's blowing the back brake light all the time, the normal lights are fine. I could try a 12V Stop and Tail but any other solutions out there? There's no battery or regulator on this model.
afandy

In the 70's we would fit a Lucas Clipper Diode ......which solved this problem ......I still have one on my Vega which is still doing it's job......can't seem to find any available now though .....unless someone knows of something available now ...
Lamaddict

Thanks Andy, that sounds great. Does anyone know of any model equivalents?
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

if its of any help, the original Lucas Part number was 83137

this item looks the same:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lucas-Zener-D ... 4ab98896e3

May be Maplins or someone could help?

Chris
Scootering since 1968.
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

Scootering since 1968.
warts
Main scooter: honda

Maybe a trawl thru brit bike sites?
AUSSIE

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the scooter needs to have a working Speedo bulb that must be 12volt even though it is a 6volt system. It is used as a type of buffer . Afraid I have no idea if this will help your brake light problem.
Lamaddict

Yes Aussie, I heard the something similar using a narrow 12v lamp in the headset, even original 6V scoots used the 12V narrow lamp. I used a 12v there and it even blew that, great to have such great lights on an original stator when you normally expect weak lighting output.
Grumpy225
Main scooter: Gori200, rt195, ld150,rb20

AUSSIE wrote:I seem to remember reading somewhere that the scooter needs to have a working Speedo bulb that must be 12volt even though it is a 6volt system. It is used as a type of buffer . Afraid I have no idea if this will help your brake light problem.
yes that is important to have for quasi voltage regulation but more importantly is having good grounds. If your tail light is blowing I'd start at the tail light ground and work your way through the ground points.

tali light (single to back of frame)
motor (common to frame and ignition coil)
coil (frame and motor common wire)
head light (from ring to ground side of pilot lamp)
speedo (grounds through the speedo cable)
horn (through switch)

have to remember the 6v system is balanced. You need the correct wattage lamps in the correct places otherwise things go pop or are very dim.

I have 6v 6 pole points on my daily ride and haven't popped a lamp in many years, no regulator just like Innocenti intended.
roli-olo

Have you checked the continuity of the pink wire.My scoot had the same issue turned to be a broken/corroded pink wire.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information