Lambretta sip speedo is it more hassle than its worth ??

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Kiwi
Main scooter: lambretta GP Mugello 225

Hi there I fitted one with fuel sensor - Temp sensor on spark plug - and fitted two magnets on front disc brakes got to say at first thought I was not getting correct speed but I was . If you compare speedo to old lambretta ones that said you were doing 75mph when you really weren't ... Got to say easy to fit and I like it ....
First of all if your running speedo off magnets you need to set it up this way
Adj 1= F miles per hour
Adj 2 = INT
Adj 3 = 1295 Dia 0077
Adj 4 = P2
Adj 5 = set the correct time

Then go back to start menu and set it up for magnets mine had two on front disc
Adj 1 = F
Adj 2 = EXE
Adj 3 = 1295 Dia 02P
Adj = P2
Adj = set time
Tested against sat nav and spot on August 2016
Last edited by Kiwi on Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
badwrench
Main scooter: Serveta Jet 200

I don't have an SIP speedo on my Jet, but really, this is a Lambretta, I think you could save yourself a lot of money and hassle if you just took a crayon and wrote "You're out of Revs, you're going too slow, you're about to seize and you're late" on the top of the headset. : )
Evesy
Main scooter: Jet 200 with Imola 186

Ive got one fited on my Jet 200. I love it. Set mine up as detailed in the Scootering magazine where they did an article on it. Fits in lovely and so far is very accurate. Tested mine on the 100m sprint at Newark and was spot on with the speed camera. Ive put my temperature sensor on the cylinder head cowling. I know that dosent give a super accurate reading but I know what the normal running temperature is. Love the rev counter and the only problem ive got is the clock keeps resetting. Certainly for me its a massive improvement on the window wiper effort I had before.
depechediki
Main scooter: gp ts1225

just discovered I had a bad earth in my headset,all fixed now :-}
Bilko
Main scooter: LI150

Is there an online version of the manual for squinty eyed gits like me who can hardly read the manual?

Edit: Scanned the manual. :)
Bilko's Oily Blog

Directionally dysfunctional since 1966
robbbee
Main scooter: Spanish Li 150 Winter Model

Right!! Am I doing something massively wrong, or are these things just completly s**t?

1st speedo never got set up, as the button broke, then it leaked, so I sent it back for a replacement (after a bit of an email argument. I was told that it was just condensation and speedo's do that! Tosh!!)

New one arrives, half an hour before I am due to leave for the Euro in Davos, so a frenzy of activity ensues in the garage. Played with it constantly en route, and although the temp gauge is great, there is a clock to look at and the rev counter works, no speed or distance readings. Spoke to alot of people, and repositioned the sensor and the magnet ALOT closer to each other and was delighted (momentarily) to be getting a reading.

Now I have a speedo that reads random numbers which change with the revs (it will bounce from 0 to 56 to 199 to 10 etc), the rev counter is close to useless, the clock is all over the place, and after about 5 minutes, it freezes and the needle buries itself all the way to the right. I can no longer get up the 5 menus to change the settings, although the button is working to change the (completly useless) displays. To add insult to injury, it seems to be leaking again (I washed the bike the other day, and despite being really careful there is a run under the glass)

I have checked the wiring, the earth, I have a resistor plug, I have tried different plugs and caps and a new HT lead. to put it mildly, I am really pissed off with it and have had enough. I know I am riding a 50 year old scooter, but I have spent alot to get it right, and every other piece of modern engineering I have put on it to improve it works without a hitch. Is it too much to ask to have a working speedo etc? There were rave reviews written about this, but were they all written by SIP employees?

Can someone please give me a step by step, idiot proof guide to setting it up? Failing that, any suggestions to a similar piece of kit that actually works? I can see this being sent back to SIP for a refund and an argument!!
Timbo
Main scooter: SX200 and GP230 RT

Mine is fitted straight to the speedo cable, works a treat..
sideout
Main scooter: SX150/GP Muggy/LiS3 Avanti TT3

yep, agree with Timbo. I've got three of 'em, they work faultlessly!
robbbee
Main scooter: Spanish Li 150 Winter Model

sideout wrote:yep, agree with Timbo. I've got three of 'em, they work faultlessly!
Do you use cables or the sensor? The only thing I am yet to try is a cable.
Timbo
Main scooter: SX200 and GP230 RT

Cable, just the same as fitting a standard speedo..I think you need the right cable , the thicker one (Indian?) but others will confirm..
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information