Problems with fitting a replacement PX Mk1 Speedo cable

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
wink

Hi all, I've just fitted a new speedo cable to my PX mk one and I have replaced all the various components.

When fitted from top down (headset first down to hub), I can turn the cable manually at the bottom of the cable and the speedo works fine, but as soon as I fit the cable into the hub the speedo stops working. Conversely, when fitted from bottom up, the cable turns freely at the headset end, but as soon as I connect it to the actual speedo it doesn't work.

This is driving me around the bend so any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

chris
timexit17
Main scooter: GP 225 Extra S type

is the outer cable too long perhaps?
i.e. its not allowing both inner ends to be fully seated into the speedo/worm
wink

Hi timeexit,

Well I adjusted the outer cable and the speedo is still not working, I can actually hear/feel the inner moving in the outer cable so I can only assume that the actual speedo is buggered (it was old and untested).

Looks like I'll have to try and get hold of another working mk1 speedo, to test it against. If anyone has got one for sale or that I could borrow then please pm me

Thanks again for the help,

Chris
brucie
Main scooter: vespa px mk1

feeding it up from the bottom into the speedo and turning the cable by hand won't give enough revolutions to make the speedo work so you can see it.

When you fitted the cable from headset down did you fit it into speedo drive on front wheel. if so without the cable fitted into the speedo spin front wheel to make sure it is turning at the headset end to make sure it is in the drive correctly, if it isn't you will need to mess around with it until it does.

If it is turning ok after this the cable should have about 10mm where the cable fits into the speedo before the stopper. I have had them before where there is not enough to fit into the speedo and hence it does fit inside the speedo to make it work.

Hope this makes sense.

Cheers Bruce
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information