Diamond pistons: Yes or No?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
vegansydney

I need a standard 62.0mm piston for a TV175. What are my options for a quality 'non-conversion' piston?

Scooter Restorations list an Indian made Diamond piston that is 2 thin ring (1.5mm) type and from what I can ascertain, including gudgeon pin, are only 283 grams, comparatively a 2 fat ringed Diamond (including gudgeon) weighs 315 grams and similar 2 'fat ring' Mahle weighs 300 grams. Thoughts on the thin ringed Diamond? Yes? No?

If no, other suggestions? NOS Borgo? NOS Asso? Casa 3 ring (manufacturer unknown)? Others?
dave wheeler

I HAD to use a diamond 62.8 as it was the only option, i would not recomend them at all, they are built like a tank, weigh a ton, rings appear to be made of cheese,and you must have at least 3.5 thou clearance if you want real quality and are in it for the long term them mb pistons are hard to beat, but so is the price!that said rimini borgo ones arent far behind, as long as my piston gets me to switzerland and back ill be well chuffed and suprised!
vegansydney

Many thanks! Unfortunately the MB only go as small as 64mm. Are NOS Borgo pistons that good? Anyone have other recommendations? Seems like more options are available for 'conversion' pistons than standard TV pistons.
dave wheeler

yup, but changing the crank means losing the tv smoothness and lots of extra cost
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

always used their Mahle in my TV with no probs whatsoever.
Scootering since 1968.
vegansydney

http://www.scooterotica.co/forum/viewto ... 3&p=143823

Thanks for that link. The thin ring Diamond piston is the one I'm curious about, so that is most helpful--thanks! Also, as noted above, keeping the TV crank (translation: custom GP tapered 58/116) is in my best interest and finally I don't want to rebore, as cylinder is on it's original size and otherwise immaculate.
TS1-200

I had the same reservations, but they were the only piston I could get in the size I needed, put one in an SX200 engine and so far seems ok, engine feels quite smooth, I did have it bored with a 4 - 4.5 thou clearance. mines going to Switzerland.
Keep on keepin on
lambrusco

I've got a 67 one in my LI, done about 2000 mile with no probs so far.... touch wood. :roll:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information