*Finished*.... Project Motovespa 150s (My Virgin Resto)

Post pics & videos of your scooter, projects you're working on, a lovely Vespa that you saw at a rally, or anything else scooter related.
GLscoot
Main scooter: Vespa GS150

Good project this.

With regards to striping the paint/rust ect, I started to do this myself. Hand grinder and wire wire brush attachment, its kinder to the body work and the harder to reach bits get it bead blasted. Its very therapeutic and satisfying. Whats your plans.
cartmel808
Main scooter: 1975 Vespa Rally 200 Femsa

Well - I can't lay claim to having done all of the work myself, as I outsourced the bodywork/painting & engine build to people who new what they were doing..... :o
But, I did all of the strip down & re-building work myself (got the skinned/scarred knuckles to prove it) - and for a total novice/numpty like me it's been a big undertaking & a steep learning curve!!

Decided on a single paint colour for the body, panels, ect - in an original Piaggio paint code from a 1957 Vespa 125n (max meyer 15048 'Gris') - which is listed as grey, but is more of a very light green.... and the fork, front suspension arm, hubs, wheels - ect were supposed to all be in 'matt' black - but they came back from the painter in 'satin' black??.... The satin black finish didn't have the desired effect that I had in mind - so I decided to swap the wheel rims for polished ali items, and change a couple of other front end components for polished/chromed bits, to break-up the satin black a little... Still not 100% happy with it though - and may yet strip the front end back down & get it all re-done in 'matt' black! :roll:.......

005 by dent.graham, on Flickr

004 by dent.graham, on Flickr

003 by dent.graham, on Flickr

004 by dent.graham, on Flickr

.....And following the front end repairs to straighten everything back up - the big nasty weld from the previous repair has now gone, and the original factory seam has been re-instated... :D

001 by dent.graham, on Flickr

002 by dent.graham, on Flickr
cartmel808

Decided to ditch the original 150cc 2port engine & upgrade to a modern PX unit.....

015 by dent.graham, on Flickr

013 (2) by dent.graham, on Flickr

014 by dent.graham, on Flickr

012 (2) by dent.graham, on Flickr

.....which is now a Polini 221 - built using brand new Malossi PX200 casings by Dan @ Scooterotica Garage... :D
GLscoot

Apart from the rear hub, which I imagine you will get painted the same as the front hub, I think that looks excellent.
cartmel808

Cheers Gary....

I bought a brand new rear hub for it, which I 'd had painted to match - but when I went to fit it, it wouldn't go onto the splines of the drive shaft....

It wasn't a genuine Piaggio item (F A Italia I think) - but it was supposed to be for a PX200 fitment! Anyway - I've sent the original one to be painted in matching satin black..

Still got a few little jobs to finish it yet - but not too far away now...

005 (2) by dent.graham, on Flickr

010 (2) by dent.graham, on Flickr
vespaloco
Main scooter: changes by the day

lovely job,have a few of these in the workshop.Dont worry about the jigging there all twisted.
cartmel808

All Finished!!..... finally got everything plumbed/wired/buttoned-up - fired-up, running, MOT'd, DVLA'd - ect... :D

Image016 (3) by dent.graham, on Flickr

Image021 by dent.graham, on Flickr

Image013 (3) by dent.graham, on Flickr

Image032 by dent.graham, on Flickr

Image035 by dent.graham, on Flickr

Image022 by dent.graham, on Flickr

Image005 by dent.graham, on Flickr

Image006 by dent.graham, on Flickr

Image009 by dent.graham, on Flickr

Managed a few short shakedown runs over the weekend to check everything's working as it should - clocked-up just over 100 'gentle' miles, so the new motor's now 'run in' a bit - plus nowt fell off which was a bonus!! :D

Re-tensioned all of the cables & torqued everything back down last night - and its booked in for dyno session tommorow, to get everything dialed in & set-up proper....

Then am gonna thrash the t*ts off it - all the way to Whitby & back on Saturday & get all that 'shiney newness' covered in crap!.... :lol:

Pics now Sorted!
Last edited by cartmel808 on Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Snapper
Main scooter: Vespa T5 Classic

Beautiful scoot mate! :)

Great job!
GLscoot

Excellent, good work. Running in is about 500miles of half throttle, then another 500 3/4 throttle, well thats what I am doing, might be a bit over cautious but want it run in properly. I would inform the dyno geezer what you have done so far.
gary
cartmel808

TBH Gary - Ive read so much conflicting info on what the running-in requirements are for a tuned ali/nicasil cylinder - that I'm not sure what's the best way to go...

A lot of people saying that, once set-up properly on a dyno - then the motor only really needs a steady 100 -150 miles or so, and away you go!.... But I'll take advice from the lads @ Scooterotica tomorrow, on what they recommend as the best way forward....

I dont want to f@@k the thing up for the sake of two or three hundred miles of steady riding - but at the same time - I just dont think I'd have the restraint required to nurse it for a thousand miles :twisted:

You must have the patience of a saint mate... :lol:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information