Wassel unit faulty? EDIT: probably not

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Nerdy Norm
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 150 S3

Update: I guess it did have an effect! Now, there is no voltage coming from either yellow stator wire with the engine running.
Lambretta LI125 Series 2, Lambretta LI150 Series 3, Lambretta J100 Cento, LML Star 150 2T
Nerdy Norm

OK, flywheel off!

I can't see anything obvious, none of the wires has any bare copper showing due to pinching (either behind the plate or where the sheathed wires go through the housing). Here's a close-up of the stator:

The stator is exactly as I received it from Beedspeed, pre-converted with the extra wire.

One thing I noticed - when prodding around with the continuity meter, pretty much everything in the stator has continuity to earth - all the coils, all the coloured wire ends. Not sure if this is normal?
Lambretta LI125 Series 2, Lambretta LI150 Series 3, Lambretta J100 Cento, LML Star 150 2T
coaster

Just to be clear Norm, the co0ntinuity checks need to be done with the wires UNPLUGGED, if not, you will be reading leakage through either the CDI or Wassel unit both of which will be earthed. First touch your meter leads together, they should read zero ohms, then with the wires UNPLUGGED, you should see something like these values:

Yellow to yellow - 1 - 2 ohms
Red to white - 115 ohms
Green to White - 500 ohms
White to earth - zero ohms.
Either Yellow to white should read infinity

Hope that helps

colin
Nerdy Norm

Thanks Colin.

Yes, everything is unplugged. These are the readings I'm getting in red:

Probes touched together - 0 ohms 00.2
Yellow to yellow - 1 - 2 ohms 00.7
Red to white - 115 ohms 112
Green to White - 500 ohms 458
White to earth - zero ohms 00.3
Either Yellow to white should read infinity 00.3 & 00.7
coaster

The yellow to yellow reading is probably correct, the reading I gave is what I've seen on Indian stators BUT the readings from the yellows to earth should be infinity i.e. the same as if the probes are not touched together. If you haven't already, check the readings with the stator removed from the bike. The other readings are all within tolerance.

colin
Nerdy Norm

Those readings were taken with the stator still in place (i.e. earthed).

I've now removed it completely, and the readings are pretty much identical. I also tested both at the bullet connector ends of the cable as well as where they are soldered into the stator, in case I got a different reading, but no. The yellow to white reading remained at 00.3 and 00.7 in all cases (not infinity).

I'm tempted to just order a new BGM stator, having seen pictures of it which look so much neater than the Beedspeed one I have. The only reason I went with the Beedspeed one was that at the time, it was the only one available "pre-converted" with the extra wire, and my soldering skills aren't up to much. Since the BGM stator is now also available with the extra wire, maybe I should just bite the bullet...

I'm away on business for the next week or so, so I'll have to park this for now, but I hope you don't mind me coming back to it when I return.
coaster

No worries Norm, something's not right with it for sure, looking at the picture one of the wires on the 2nd coil to the left of the pickup looks mighty close to the stator core, there even looks like there is some insulation tape in the area :? Have you tried speaking to Beadspeed about it?
Nerdy Norm

No, it's a bit difficult as I bought it from them a year ago and only just found out that it appears to be faulty. I've gone ahead and ordered the BGM one anyway, so I'll fit that when I get back from China, and contact Beedspeed then. Hopefully they can fix it, and a spare is always handy...
Nerdy Norm

Excellent service from Scooter Center - ordered at 10.35am yesterday, delivered at 11.52am today (and for just over four quid!).

I ran a quick comparison with the meter on the new stator - most values were pretty much the same, except that the green-to-white gave 525 ohms and both the yellows gave infinity :)

Just got to wait until Easter Monday when hopefully I'll be back in time to fit it...
Nerdy Norm

I've finally got round to fitting the new stator, but I'm not certain that the flywheel has gone back on correctly.

I'd be grateful if someone could have a look at the pics in this thread and tell me if it looks right or not:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=30853&p=226085#p226085

Thanks!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information