QUATTRINI M1XL

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
cartmel808
Main scooter: 1975 Vespa Rally 200 Femsa

Bought a PX125 motor last year & I've decided to build a Quattrini 172 M1XL from it it (or i should say 'have someone build it for me') - I've got the kit, carb, crank, vespatronic - ect, sorted - but I'm looking for some advice from anyone who's running this kit, on the best Clutch, Gearing & Pipe to run with the M1XL kit?
sean brady scooters
Dealer

prob best to follow their recomendations ,as presumably they have developed and made this with a certain spec in mind ;)
Sean Brady Scooters - 01765 690 698
goldeneye

gearing. keep the 125 gearbox, you can change the gearing with different clutch cogs , 20 (standard) 21 or 22 . clutch.- I usually recommend the old style 7 spring job over a Cosa, as they seem to stay together better, but in this case I would look at something like the billet SIP number, you've already spent a good wack, I"d go for the posh clutch as well. pipe- ive had the JL righthand on the last couple of Malossis ive had (proper ones, not copies) and they've been good. I know its not a quattrini specific pipe, but I don't know anyone running one. chiselspeed have done a few, and I was toying with the idea of one for myself (cheaper engine to buy over a T5-vs-expensive kit, in the end I got a T5 malossi ) sounds like a good motor coming together, and I"ll have a go when its done if ya don't mind, your only 20 mile away! ;)
ducksta

think matts dad did one he the bloke to ask
live life your a long time dead
cartmel808

goldeneye wrote:gearing. keep the 125 gearbox, you can change the gearing with different clutch cogs , 20 (standard) 21 or 22 . clutch.- I usually recommend the old style 7 spring job over a Cosa, as they seem to stay together better, but in this case I would look at something like the billet SIP number, you've already spent a good wack, I"d go for the posh clutch as well. pipe- ive had the JL righthand on the last couple of Malossis ive had (proper ones, not copies) and they've been good. I know its not a quattrini specific pipe, but I don't know anyone running one. chiselspeed have done a few, and I was toying with the idea of one for myself (cheaper engine to buy over a T5-vs-expensive kit, in the end I got a T5 malossi ) sounds like a good motor coming together, and I"ll have a go when its done if ya don't mind, your only 20 mile away! ;)
Cheers for the info Goldeneye... Someone else said similar to you re; gearing/clutch - so I think I'm gonna go with the standard gearing & a Billet 22t Clutch from SIP as a starting point - and I'll most likely end up with a JL Pipe on it aswell, though SIP do a JL Curly thingy that looks awesome (a tad pricey though).
I'll keep posting progress on the build/spec as I go - they claim you can get 24bhp - virtually 'out of the box' with these kits - so we'll see, but I think its gonna be a tasty motor however it turns out... ;)

Just need to find a builder for it now - but when I do finally get it built & bolted into a scooter you're welcome to have a go on it mate... :lol: - where about's are ya based like?
MattsDad

You don't get 24 out of the box I'm afraid, probably 16ish.
Have a look at Neil's (Gadgetmans) previous posts on the XL version which was built by Martin @ Chisel.
Martin has done many of these, he is the man to do this for you properly as a road engine. Hope helps :)
COCKSPEED TUNING
cartmel808

MattsDad wrote:You don't get 24 out of the box I'm afraid, probably 16ish"
Well that's what those Germans @ SIP are claiming! :lol: :lol:

Spoke to Chiselspeed yesterday about the build - and they' were real helpful, seem to know quite a bit about this kit & suitable spec's, set-up's, ect - so seems like they'll be the best option for the build.

Cheers All...
gadgetman

The m1xl is a great kit but is not a straight forward bolt on. I built mine myself and sent it up to Martin at Chiselspeed who set it up for me on the dyno . He tweaked the exhaust port and swapped the exhaust for me and other than a cooling issue caused by poor airflow from the lightened flywheel it hasn't missed a beat ever since. Would definitely recommend Chiselspeed if you're looking for someone to sort it for you if you're not confident at tackling it yourself
GLscoot
Main scooter: Vespa GS150

Had a look at this kit on google and there are some weird and wonderful air intakes for this. Is it really necessary for all that plumbing back to the air bellow on the PX as the carb faces the wrong way. How much room is there between the frame and engine once the carburettor is fitted and is it possible to rotate the manifold in any way. Im interested if I can fit this to a PX engine thats currently in a GS150 frame, don't want to cut the frame, don't mind cutting a bit of the engine casing away on the flywheel side to allow the carb to move away from the frame, if you know what I mean.
gadgetman

Yes you should be ok provided you fit a bgm pwk carb as it's the only one slim enough from side to side + an air filter has to be fitted due to the carbs position and direction
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information